1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my camel, is your camel, my fdiend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, rainy days give me too much time to think, which, reminds me of a story. talk about nerve. im really curious, how some of you pros would have handled this. it was a long long time ago, in a small town, in central jersey. it was pouring rain. someone called for an estimate on landscaping, my first thought(because of the accent), was not to call her back. but, against my better judgement, i did. i call. she says can u give me a price on some landscaping? i said sure, but its pouring rain, if you are looking for the job, at a fair price, ill come out, but ill need to leave there with a deposit. she says, well, if u r really gonna show up, i'm sure we can do business, u see, the last 10 landscapers i called, didn't even show up. ok, fine, i put on the raincoat, and off i go. very small job. several foundation plants, 4 yds of topsoil, 3 yds of mulch. minimal prep. well, sure as god made green apples, the first price , "is too high, my fdiend." ok, i tell her we can go with smaller plants, and in time, they will grow. ok, we have a deal. it's $1400 for the job. i need 4 bills as a deposit, we will do the job next week. ok, fine, got the deposit, and im off. come back next week, prep area, put in topsoil, create beds, and remove some of her azealeas which will later be incorporated to the job. install will be tommorow. return next day, take all shrubbery off the truck, call out mrs. p, and go through our checklist. 3 of these, 5 of these, etc. NOW, the trouble begins. her:" i would like to eliminate 5 of the plants, the mountain laurel, two of the hollies." me(cutting her off)"i'm sorry ma'm, the plants were purchased, they are here, they belong to you." her:" but, my fdiend, i have change my mind, it is too expensive." me:" well, we should have discussed this before, its too late for changes." her:" bobby, i am not stupid, i know you can take these plants back where u got them, and get your money back." me:" well, im not sure about the first part, but there is no way i am taking these plants back." her:" what, i am the customer, and i am not allowed to change my mind?" me:" no, not without paying for it." her:" bobby, you are being very rude." me:" not yet ma'm, but im on my way. we do have an understanding, don't we? everything here belongs to you, and when im done, you will pay me $1000.? " her:" no, i will pay you $800!" me:" WHATTTTT!!!!! how did u arrive at that figure? $1400, minus $400=$1000, american dollars." her:" but bobby, i got other estimates, and they were gonna do the entire job for $800, you are very overpriced." me:" well, why the h@ll did u hire me, if they were gonna do it cheaper?" her:" because, you seemed so ambitious, and motivated, and you were able to tell me everything about the plants." me:" listen, here's the deal, u get me $1000 in cash, right now, or i take my plants and i'm outta here." her:" no, $800, i have the cash, ill pay u when you're finished." me:" look, this is the last time i'm tellin you, and i'm not asking, i'm telling, $1000 in cash, in 60 seconds, or i'm outta here." her: " bobby, you wouldn't dare." me:" 30 seconds left, u better hurry." her:" bobby, i thought you were reasonable." me:" times up, chico, put the plants back on the truck."now, chico mumbled something in spanish, but i'm not sure what it is, and begins putting the plants back on the truck, and covering them up. her:" what, you are leaving? give me back my $400." me:" take a hike." her:" bobby, i swear to god, i will sue you." me:" shut up." we get in the truck, and off we go, leaving her yapping in the street in some foriegn toungh. later that day, i'm wondering like heck what chico mumbled when i told him to load the truck back up, so, i ask my wife to ask him(she speaks fluent spanish). well, what he said was, "thank you, what took you so long." i'm really starting to think he really does understand english, he just pretends he doesn't. well, i never heard from her again, what would you guys have done? i will always be amazed at the different cr@p we have to put up with in this business.
  2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Well my dad use to tell me," I would never hit a woman,.......but i shore would kick the s#%t out of her." Dad's medicated now.

I think i would have done the same as you.:D
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Mrs. P.? Would that be Patel?

She didn't get other estimates-no one would return her call.- you shouldn't have either!
  4. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey hey hey, a Patel is a Indian last name. From the state of Gujurati in India. (im indian)
  5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Would you please sign this contract, and that will require a $700 deposit.....Thank You an have a nice day!
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I learned like you, i wouldnt call back "my friend"
  7. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

You tell her :eek:
  8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I don't do any installs without a signed contract. States everything in there including, purchased plant material can not be returned, also that any changes to a contract would need to be submitted in writing and approved by one of our associates before a change can be made. In God we trust, words mean nothing to me unless they are on paper and signed. :cool:
  9. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

''we will install, take the 800, and place a lean for the rest of the money due."

I think you just stole $400. If I read every thing right :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.