My chance @ becoming a zillionaire...foiled by lawnsite members

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well sorta. I was thinking about a new way of striping lawns or a way to "enhance" the look and quality of cut for "difficult" lawns. Anyway, not wanting a convoluted item, I'm debating to try a simple yet effective approach to obtaining that "elusive" perfect lawn.

Is there a way to apply a small brush style guard on the FRONT of the mower along the entire width of it to act like a hair brush??? I know it sounds completely whacked but I think by having this so called brush on the front of the deck, it would further raise the grass allowing a more uniform cut.....therefore enhancing the look.

I know by asking, there will be atleast ONE volunteer to try it out.

Anyway.

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thanks for the laff it was needed

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I take it then you won't want to see the schematics for my "Grass Hair Roller" or the "Grass spray paint" for when I scalp a lawn then either....right?

:hammerhead:

4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Most new inventors were laughed at until they prove people wrong and invent a devise that changes the world. Don't let naysayers get you down. I'd give up on that spray paint idea though. Maybe use butch wax to stand up the blades before a cutting.:laugh:

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I got a news flash for you. A handful of customers may like stripes, but Few both residential or commercial could really care less about "striping".......this is way more a LCO thing than it is a customer thing I assure you. Heck, mos customers don;t even know what striping is and many think it is something wrong with your mower that is messing up their grass. :laugh:

6. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I agree. Striping is more for the LCO's than the majority of the customers.
    -TAZ

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I think the spray paint idea would be useful (at least with the mental giants I have hired) but otherwise...I don't think so. Perhaps some of those ideas would fly with grounds crews at sports stadiums?

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

a Jrco dethatcher rake will do exactly what you are looking to do. but that's still pretty aggressive and using it over and over would strip out all the thatch thats actually benificial for holding soil moisture plus hitting all the blades, top to bottom bruises them and causes more stress which leads to diseases. Not to mention disturbing the soil slightly would encourage weed seed germation and break down the pre-em in that "crust" of the soil where it's needed.

Other than that... it does make awesome stripes! LOL

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually Lesco (and probably others as well) sell Turf Paint. The grounds crew here at the Coliseum here spray it all the time in the spring in the "rough areas" of grass just before the ACC Basketball or NCAA Tournys or other large draw events.

10. sunturf

sunturf LawnSite Member

:confused: MMLawn Actually Lesco (and probably others as well) sell Turf Paint. The grounds crew here at the Coliseum here spray it all the time in the spring in the "rough areas" of grass just before the ACC Basketball or NCAA Tournys or other large draw events.

Turf Paint on grass for a basketball tourny? im confused :confused: