My Classic Mower 18"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for information on my latest acquisition.

A Pennsylvania Avalon 18" push mower, probably from the 1950's.

I searched Google and ebay with only hits from the early 1920's for the company "Pennsylvania"

I am interested in the history and origin of this unique mower...as well as if it is worth anything?

There is no tags indicating who manufactured the engine, the engine has a oil filter style air filter? The deck is similar to a staggered wheel lawn boy. The name "Pennsylvania" is embossed in raised latters protruding from the deck, with "Avalon" painted below it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

What color is the deck? It sounds similar to one my uncle had in the mid 50's. :confused:

3. Toroguy

Mowingman,

The deck is painted gold, Pennsylvania and Avalon are white lettering, the handle bars are orange with white grips...yes grips.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures ?

5. Toroguy

Sorry, no pictures...no camera.

6. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

Toroguy,
    Is the motor a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Is the air fliter that you described at the rear of the motor at the back of the mower? This sounds like a Lawn Boy mower that was nicknamed the "buttercup" 18" with a 1.5 hp 2 stroke motor. At one time Lawn Boy did some private labeling and sold products to some Mass merchants and compeditors. Let me know and I will try to help you with your search.

7. Toroguy

Buba,

The engine is four stroke. was originally painted white. Engine is mounted oddly...the spark plug points toward the left rear wheel, the air filter is located pointing toward the right rear wheel.

Serial number stamped on engine 92502 0707 01 8901131

Engine Model info destroyed when previous owner painted top of engine with black paint.

Thanks

8. Toroguy

front pic

penn.jpg

9. Toroguy

This photo is blurry, but gives an idea of the handles odd shape. Anyone recognize this machine? C'mon man, tell me Rockefellers gardener used it...

hands.jpg

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can't tell you about the mower but the engine appears to be a "newer" Briggs and Stratton, probably a 1959 year engine.

Can you sand the engine numbers a little and make sure that is what they are? In particular the last set of digits. They make no sense according to the Briggs and Stratton numbering system.

The first set of digits identifies the engine as 9 cubic inch, basic design series 2, mechanical governor, plain bearing with a rewind starter.

The second set of digits (0707-01) tells some of the characteristics of the engine like OEM and paint color.

The last set of digits tells when the engine was made and where. The set of digits you have there indicates that the engine was built on January 13, 1989. Is it possible that the 8 is really a 5. That would indicate a build date of January 13, 1959.