My clients asks...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mats, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

I was giving a lady an estimate for a courtyard cleanup today. She needs a couple patio trees repotted and I said I would pick up the large terracotta pots as I have a truck and she doesn't. She asked if I had some place to get pots cheaper than she could.

Well, yes, I do have wholesale sources. But that's part of my profit and I don't pass that savings on to the customer.

The same thing happens when I bid a job and supply the plants. Customers routinely ask, can you get the plants for wholesale? Odd thing is, it's usually the more wealthy client that asks for a discount.

What do you tell the customer when they ask for your wholesale price?

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

No.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yes and for enough money I'll tell you how to get them that way too.

Mac

4. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

WHat do u do when a client goes ahead and sets up thier own wholesale account??????????? This happened to me on a major job

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Never had a client set up a wholesale account but I sure as heck would try to prevent them from trying. First off, I know all the wholesalers here and they would definintely value my business more than theres and all are real good about preventing non-industry people from buying at wholesale. I would even go to tell them who they are and ask that they not allow them to buy.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've got one of those. I tell him to get all his plant material picked out and delivered. When it arrives, he calls me to plant it and I charge accordingly.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Had it happen once guy bought a bunch of plants at one time and bought whsl.:angry: When I showed he said that he already bought his plant and to take that part off the bill. This was for a whole development, I told him, his plants he plants them! we finished up grassing the area and the beds, mulch, etc and subtracted the whsl.price of the plants off of the total. It cost the guy more to get some else to come in and plant everything he bought and repair my work than I originally had it priced at plus nothing was guranteed and a lot died:cry: I went to the nursery and and talked to the owner and told him we could no longer do business since he was selling to the public at the same price as I was paying, I walked out drove a few miles and set up an account at another nursery;) "Everyone needs to remember "don't bite the hand that feeds you" The first nursery 1 times sale cost him 6 yrs of me buying at his competitors, and they take real good care of me there!!!payup

Mac

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Quite simple. Charge him for installation only, and he gets no warranty from you. If he has a problem with warranty, he must go back to the nursery.

Zed

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If I were the customer and you told me that, I would say ok well I'm the customer and I'm not going to pass the job onto you... have a nice day. We get all our products wholesale. I even tell customers vendors that we use. These vendors only deal with the trade, and the customer hasn't got a change to apply for an account unless they can show a Federal ID#, and a letter of INC.

The way you told the customer that, makes it seem you are going to be overpriced, and you get top dollar. As a professional, you should only be dealing with wholesalers. Sell it as we give our customers' the best products available. If it ends up being more expensive than what they can get it for, 99% of the time it's because it's a much better product. :cool:

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Deal with a reputable nursery. Our have all their material marked at homeowner prices on the lot. I will tell my customers where I buy my material so if and when they go there to check my prices they see retail, not wholesale. I would never deal with a nursery that quoted wholesale prices to the general public.