my competition

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, May 4, 2006.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

as crankysprinklerguy would say, "sigh"

I started up TWO separate homes today that were both installed by one of the larger companies in the area... they are one of the most expensive as far as service rates go but almost the cheapest as far as installs.

One system was five years old the other was 2. Both of them had been serviced by this company since they were installed.

almost unbelievably... one house had TWO zones that had never been nozzled... the orange rainbird caps had turned white from being in the sun for so many years. The other house had the EXACT same problem on one zone.

how can they be in such a hurry that they forget to nozzle?!?!? I wish I had the camera today

2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Better question..."How can the owners be so stupid and not figure something was not quite right with those zones?"

3. BSME

from Midwest

haha oh yea... i forgot to mention that part...

I had to convince the first guy that there was something wrong... the pressure was obviously terrible but he thought they were supposed to be 360 nozzles.. after I made them all 12Hs he didn't like it as much...

the second guy just never really saw that zone since it was on the side of the house

unbelievable

4. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Unbelievable...:laugh:...a guy told me his service call yesterday was the home owner turned on the water and it was leaking by the backflow in the ground. Huh...well it was installed last fall and never turned on. The company that installed it told them it was good to go in the spring. Nope they never completed it. The water was coming out of the pipe that was never connected to the main. Besides that they never hooked up any wires to the valves and didn't install any valve boxes. Lucky for the (dumb):hammerhead: home owner who already paid the installer which they couldn't get a hold of now that every thing else was done and there. Controller and all lines hooked up.:dizzy:

5. It is no wonder I do well in a new market so fast and limited advertising....

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I once read a newspaper article that said a contractor had put the valve boxes in the ground, installed heads only, no pipe, never made athe water connection. Then got his money and said they would be back to go over it with the homeowner. Of course they never heard from him again. Not sure if he was busted eventually or not.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like one of the large contractors in our area opened up a branch in your area. :laugh:

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've run ito this before, but never an entire zone. One or two heads, but never entire zones. I love the heads that were covered with sod and never found until I got there.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Had an area of a newly completed system (still under warranty) that had a large rectangle dead area in the center of a field. Contractor swore that it was bad soil or some other condition and the higher upppers believed him. I went out, fired the zone and determined that the contractor's guys had installed part circle I-40s instead of full circles. When the contractor was called on this he stated that his supplier had run out of FC sprinklers and that as soon as they were in he'd change them out. This was six months after the initial install.:rolleyes:

10. BSME

from Midwest

another one from the same company... I'm just going to start calling them Rainscape...

Went to go start someone up... they were bitching about Rainscape and how they had them install it last year but are fed up with them...

front yard had three rotors but there was an obvious spot where there should have been a fourth... I went to check it out and found a wet spot.

The company had pulled one line through the 1'' right before that fourth head and doing so kinked it over so that it wasn't leaking too bad. I hooked it up and found that the fourth head had never been adjusted...