My competitior has left us.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shovelracer, Jun 30, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

First I dont want to seam insensitive, but one of my local competitors died of a heart attack on vacation this past weekend. Out of respect for his family I wont tell you his company name. Very sad as he left behind a family and was only in his 40's. My condolences go out to them.

I do have a few questions though. First Ive gotten several calls today from mowing customers for me to pick up his applications where he left off. Ive already purchased my product for the rest of the year. Rates locally are going up 20-30% tomorrow 7-01 , so do I quote based on my new product price, or do I go with my old price, which is closer to his price. I will require more product to make these applications so I would either charge it or absorb it.

Second he didnt list specifically what he was using, so its anyones guess. Im sure he wasnt using super high N ferts. Do I pick them up with my regular application rates, and wait and see. Or do I need to go soil testing? I know I should do this anyways, but ...

Third, he recently purchased two perma greens and I would like a good used one. How long do you wait to contact his family about possible equipment and account purchasing. Or dont you cause its too unprofessional.

Last he was applying Merit apps last week like a mad man. This I know cause I saw him. He was only wearing shorts and Tshirt no other PPE. How likely if at all is it that this could have contributed to this situation?

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Speaking as a EMT i dont see how the exposure would casue a heart attack, I have teched calls for heart attacks guys in their early 30's in great shape, it can happen to anyone, happens to teenage athletes as well, we had a 16 year old die 2 years ago, very sad.

In the stress of the family losing their dad, and husband I doubt their thought s are whos going to do those accounts. I think it would be in poor taste to contact them now. I would send them a card from your company, condolunces etc, if you can do anything blah blah blah. That way maybe they approach you later.

I would max out the advertising in the paper over the next few weeks anyone who is going to jump will. Good luck.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

sent a pm to you

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

How long to wait to send a card?

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I would get one out ASAP

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with Humble. Events like this really understate what life's all about. One can always replace a lawn or a tree, etc, but never a life. Seems the good people go first, but I believe there is a plan.

shovelracer -- I hope you let his family know that members all accross this Country on this site have read your comments & respects. Cuz we are saddened by their loss. I just said a prayer -- hope it helps. Thanks for this post man, God bless.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not gonna tell you how to spend your money, but I'd be stepping up to the plate to see if I could just HELP out at this time. The family is gonna be grieving - not up to maintaining his biz. How awesome would YOU be to do what you could to help?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

8. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

Gawd he hungry.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i would step up and offer to buy the biz right now dont wait at all. they will need cash and i bet you can get a deal before they go else where. but then again im a a$$ whole and dont mix feelings with money.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Not an a$$ half, or an a$$ quarter? LOL... :laugh: