My Competitor Undercut Me By Half !!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Apr 27, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I moved this winter, leaving a subdivision for a more rural environment. I'd been a nice guy and was doing 16 neighbors basically at cost - but sent letters after having moved to explain that the deal was gone... and here's the REAL price...

So one of them calls me. The used car salesman that always manipulated me into giving him freebies on top of his severe discount. His price for this year on his 14K lawn was $91 per treatment. Well he calls to basically inform me that I'm not even competitive!!

It ends up that one of the biggest guys here in town, who had to hire a firm last fall to keep from going bankrupt, bid that 14k lawn at $45 per treatment!!!

Now, mind you, we're apples to oranges. He's a stripped package, while I'm high end premium with all the whistles and bells wrapped into the package already...

But $45???? What on earth??? How in the world is this guy still in business?? Absolutely insane!!!

2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Here it's about $45-$50 per app for 4k of lawn.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

Yeah. This one is 14k. I laughed and told him his bid for on oversized yard was less than my minimum... Told him I wouldn't have done even his front yard for that.

4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

some times its better to just walk away........

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. 10.00+ per 1k square feet? Unreal what some of you get.

6. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

16 lawns at cost?

Never me.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

I was in a low-income neighborhood where we all built our homes through sweat equity together. So these were good friends. PLUS, being low income, these people didn't know what the crap they were doing with their lawns... so my efforts also helped SIGNIFICANTLY increase curb appeal and home value... which helped me when I sold.

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Um, what? $91 for 14k, thats like $6.50/k.

9. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I was replying to Bill.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

FWIW, that $91 is my price for 12K. I was trying to cut him a very slight deal.