My compost moisture curiosity made me do it

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Aug 16, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

So, I know I said I was going to be silent, but maybe a middle ground would be best. :) I will always have questions, and you great folks in this forum are too valuable a resource for me not to ask. So expect questions, but maybe not my long winded opinions on things, at least on this site... :dancing:

The first compost questions...

1- How do you determine moisture % in a compost? (yourself or lab tested with nutrients?)

2- If lab tested, what lab do you use? Is their % by weight, or some other number?

3- If meter tested, what are the meter results telling you- moisture by field capacity? By wieght still??? Or other means????

Thanks

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Squeeze a handful. If it forms a clump that stays a clump, its pretty wet. If I were paying by the ton, I'd complain and it is sure to give you problems in all but the most sophisticated spreaders. If it forms a clump that holds for a few seconds and then crumbles with even slight pressure, it's kinda wet. I would look cross-eyed at the scale man if I were paying by the ton, and if the word "topdresser" is in the name of your spreader, you should be OK. If it won't form a clump at all, thank God you're paying by the ton instead of the yard and you can spread it with just about anything.

Anything more complicated than that would be a waste of mental energy, in my opinion.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

hey buddy glad your still around, try a micro wave and a scale, or a fruit dehydrator................

4. JDUtah

from UT

Thanks Tree.

Jeff,
    Thanks for the quick field tests. Normally they would apply, but I'm working out a system that will make it esay to control a compost 'fertilizer' application. You need to know moisture % at one point. I'm not going to reveal the process that makes it easy and not a 'waste of mental energy' but I can apply 1 lb of Nitrogen per 1,000 sqft for only $2.50 to $4.00 per 1,000 with a compost that cost $20/yard. + minimal labor.

Moisture % makes the percent by wieght number highly variable, so at one point you need to have an accurate moisture reading. I know I know, I make this organic thing too difficult. :) Lies.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. JDUtah

from UT

Great stuff Kiril. That's exactly what I needed. Thank you.

7. JDUtah

from UT

OK, maybe I am not understanding the title right.. In that article to find soil water content it tells you to...

Soil water content (g/g) = (weight of moist soil - weight of oven dry soil) /
    weight of oven dry soil

Is soil water content not percent moisture? If not, how/where do you use that number?

to get the moisture percent wouldn't you do this?

Soil moisture percent = (weight of moist soil - weight of oven dry soil) /
    weight of moist soil

And times that by 100?

I'm 99.99999% sure.. but just wanna run it by.

Thanks.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

JD, the USDA site has more information than you could shake a stick at, or beat a person over the head with :hammerhead::hammerhead:

For what you are doing they have statistics up the whazoooooooo

10. JDUtah

from UT

ok looks like i'll crawl their site some more tomorrow. Thanks Bill.