My control arms are rubbing against each other

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fishinpa, Jul 19, 2006.

1. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

As stated in the title in this thread, my control arms "touch" and it's driving me nuts. I just pulled down the owners manual from Hustlers site and gave it the quick once-over because I didn't feel like digging out the paper copy.

Did I over look the adjustment for this issue or was it not there?

I have not gotten on my hands & knees to look at the hardware yet so this may be a simple procedure. I just though it wise to ask advice before setting off on this adjustment venture this weekend.

If I have the "how to" in front of me... I'll fell much better about taking this project on. I hate bothering the dealer with trivial things I'm perfectly willing and capable of doing myself. I know he is slammed with work right now anyway.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is no adjustment there.
    All you need to do is apply pressure on the levers outward (with them in the park position) and you will be fine.

Pj

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Its not just the rubber grips hitting is it? I got freaked out once because of that!

4. fishinpa

from SE PA

So you're saying to "tweak" them a bit? I'm cool with that if the manufacturer says to go for it and YES I'm aware of the difference between a little tweak and too much.

Thanks PJ, Once again... YOU Da' Man!

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That worked for me also (as suggested by customer support).

6. fishinpa

from SE PA

I gave the arms a little tweak last night and all is well again.

Thanks,

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, same thing happened here. My rubber grips are NOT glued to the steel. While traversing a long slope, I must have been supporting myself with the sticks....this constant side pulling pulled the rubber out further and the sticks touched and I'm like WTF?!?! I thought I bent the sticks! I pushed the rubber back on fully and all is well! :dancing:

8. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

I also 'tweaked' the control arms by carefully rotating them (clockwise for right, counterclockwise for left) to better align with my natural hand position on the arms. You will note that the grips on a bicycle, motorcycle, or ATV are pulled back slightly to better fit the rider's hand positions. The straight arms on the ZTR caused me to have forearm fatigue. The rotated control arms are much more comfortable!

PS: The control arms on the Hustler FasTrak are strong and sturdy and can be 'tweaked' without much fear of damage.

By contrast, I was looking at a Cub Cadet ZTR at Lowes. As I left the seat, I momentarily lost my balance and leaned with one hand against one of it's control arms in the Park position to catch myself. The Cub Cadet control arm immediately gave way, bending about 45 degrees further to the right! I was somewhat embarrassed, but the salesman assured me that it was no problem and bent the control arm back into position with just one hand!! :dizzy:
    I love Hustler quality!!

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Keep an eye out for cracks in the metal on either side of the handle mounting bolts. I have had to weld both of my handles.

Gene

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Happens all the time now. No big deal but that first time was like you "WTF!"