My controlling Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Oct 11, 2007.

?

What to do about the Lady who needs money...lawn business or rat race

Poll closed Nov 5, 2007.
  1. dump the broad

33.6%
  2. get back into the biz

14.0%
  3. keep her and stay in the biz

45.8%
  4. join the rat race

6.5%
  1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Well guys, it's been awhile but I'm back! I'm almost done with college and I"m thinking about gettin back into the biz. But my girlfriend doesn't think I'll make enough money. I want to get some accounts and do some residential work while she's in grad school but she thinks this just won't bring in enough dough. What should I do?

a. get rid of the broad
    b. start up my business
    c. keep her AND do the business
    d. join the rat race

thanks all,
    grassy

2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Give her a bikini and a mower and assure her just how much money you guys are going to make now. :usflag:

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Prove her wrong. If she doesn't want you to do what makes you happy, then she isn't the one for you.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhh you have a naysayer for a gf...
    hehehe

I tell you in my case, no man or woman wants to try and test my resolve.
    Which is not to say more than a few haven't jumped on the challenge, whatever drives the fools.

I am not sure what this is, some test to see if a friendship is stronger than my loyalty to my business?
    I suppose the better answers concern compromise and diplomacy and all that bs...
    Hmmm, guess that's why I don't have a gf, and a short fuse.
    But I have my business, if there are no other cards to be played.

So far the only relationships that stood the test were immediate family.
    I eventually got better verbally, I'm not as cutting with the words, but still as determined.
    If the only difference is that today I don't use the shovel over the head approach, the end result is the same.
    Some still test me, all still lose...

Perhaps you might ask, how important is this relationship?

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

So true - your happiness is her happiness. Like my wife - she is blackmailing to go to the GEi expo ( which we planned on) but I have so much work to do that I feel as though I will miss out yet work is always there so she say fine then I'll take the boys to MICH. to visit family.

Man - your life still until the I DO so go mow. NOt work out - ya tried and not always thinking that I should of done what I wanted from the get to.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, that was my girlfriend. luckily for me she's very supportive and wants to see me do what makes me happy. hopefully though she'll be pulling in the dough after grad school. but anyway, all is good...she's a joker

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your "man Card and ditch the beeotch" It'll only get worse from here if you let her run over you. Besides, when you listed your choices, punted her butt was the first on the list.

8. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

so true so true !!!! I would think you would want someone to be supportive, in 05 I left a full time job w/ the state I had for almost 20 yrs. to jump into this rat race. it hasent been that easy but I dont regret anything I've done and I did this a month before I was to get married and she has been very supportive, not to say she worries at times but we all do !!! even after such a dry summer, but still no regrets !!!!

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Being married for 23 years does not qualify me to advise you on girlfriend issues buddy.:waving:
    Good to see you back. What are you majoring in and what will the GF end up with after grad school?

Do what you want to do. In the end you have to be happy. That is life. Try stuff now, after a wife and kids you have very little chance to experiment in life. Take your chances while you are responsible for you. Ya I know you have the GF but she doesn't share your last name yet. Good Luck and good to see you back here.

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

My wife gives me constructive criticism and tells me her opinion if I ask, and I appreciate it, but she never tells me what I should or shouldn't do, because she knows that I know my business and she trusts me. If I make a mistake she is just as supportive. And I don't tell her what to do either. That kind of respect is key to a stable relationship. I say talk about her concerns and let her know that you are capable of taking your own calculated risks and can accept the consequences if things don't go as planned. Such is business, almost never a sure thing. People that are trained to be good employees sometimes have a hard time understanding why you would trade stability for freedom. Once you realize you can support yourself all on your own it is hard to go to work making someone else rich. Good luck and I hope you guys reach an understanding!