My crappy year (long rant)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WaterGuru, Dec 26, 2006.

1. WaterGuru

WaterGuru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

First a little background. I have been in the green industry for over 22 years. 20 years doing irrigation solely. I started at the bottom and was nothing more than a ditch digger and worked my way up to be a manager of a irrigation company doing over 1.2 million a year.

This past year, I was living in South Florida working at a very large company running the irrigation division. I had been there for a little over 6 years and was seriously ready for a change, not just from the company, but from South Florida. I had decided to move to NC and join up with a guy I knew and we were going to open a full service maintenance company. So I put my house up for sale, found a house in NC, found a buyer for my house and agreed on a closing date. So far everything seems fine right? Well about this time is when the poo hit the fan.

I put in my notice to leave the company and as soon as I had departed 3 days before closing, the guy buying my house ran into problems with financing. To make this long story a little shorter I will skip ahead 3 months, 3 months of sitting around waiting for this guy to buy my house. (summer time to boot) By the time he got his financing in order, I had lost the house in NC, I lost my partner and was left with no job, and no clue what to do.

That’s when I saw an ad for a job in Central Florida for a management position in a very large company. So I drove to Orlando on a Saturday, with the closing on my house looming on the following Monday (actually, it was supposed to be the day before Friday, but I put it off until Monday) I met the owners of this new company and we hit it off. They offered me a job, and I accepted. Went back south and closed on my house.

So in less than a week I was packed up and moved and working at this new job.

Let me take a second here to discuss how all this affected my daughter (see I am a single dad) so now my daughter has to go to a new school that had already been in session for a month, she was a wreck needless to say.

Ok, back to the new job. So the owners told me during the interview that I would be able to run the division as it was my own company, and that I was the manager of the service division and as soon as I got that all running proper and profitable I would take over the installs division and get that under control.

Well, my first day I was shocked to find out that they had hired someone AFTER they hired me to run the entire division, putting me into a supervisor role. Now not being over all manager did not bother me so much as I was getting paid the same. What bothered me was that I was lied to and then they did not even tell me they hired someone. Well, that was the beginning of the end. I got fired 4 weeks later with an “it just not working out”... no severance pay, no moving money, no nothing. Needless to say I am a little hot about the whole thing, considering I could have just kept my house and stayed in South Florida.

So now here I am with no job and in a new city. And this all happened right before Christmas too. I am still trying to decide if I should or could take legal action against this company. But let this be a lesson to me and to all, NEVER take a job and move unless you have some sort of written guarantee in your contract.

I posted I was looking for a job in the employment section, but I think I am going to stay in Central Florida and start my own irrigation service company.

For those of you who have read all this, I thank you. I just needed to get this off my chest and to tell you the truth it feel a little better. No, not really.
    And anyone in the Central Florida area doing business I will be looking for irrigation jobs soon.
  2. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

A friend of mine moved to Florida last year and has found that 75% of the jobs he applied for, were all bogus. Every one of them lied to him in the interview about numerous things that went with the job. Seems to be a trend in FLA...No offense to Floridians, but I call it like I see it. To tell you the truth. I thought it was just him. But, along with you, I've heard that story numerous times about FLA since he got there.
  3. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

You said you were ready for a change. Well you sure got one. Sorry to hear about all that. I know things probably seem terrible right now but change can be good. Who know's maybe starting your own irragation service company will turn out to be a great thing for you and your daughter. It will be tough and a little scary but also fun and exciting. I'm sure what ever happens you will learn some new things and come out of it in even better shape than you were before. Think positive and good luck.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer looking for a cheap irrigation system. I also know someone that was looking for an irrigation tech not sure if she found one yet
  5. WaterGuru

WaterGuru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

There is no such thing as a 'cheap' irrigation system. Lets talk about it though. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
  6. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

Wow, what a year you've had. I think the best thing for you to do at this point is to definitely pursue your own service business.

I moved a year ago from northern Virginia (affluent area) to western Maryland (not so affuent) Had to move the entire business and now commute to northern Virginia while getting the licensing and such for Maryland.

Moving is NOT easy for business. My income dropped to less than is dead right now...housing market has slumped and so has landscaping.

I feel your pain, believe me. But working for yourself in my opinion is still better than working for someone else. I will take the hardships of self employment anyday!
  7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick to your guns-you can do it!!!!1 Iv'e been through it. Lost everything. Building it back now.

YOU WILL DO JUST FINE, even though its painful right now.

8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Read my post on business credit in the business management section if you need funds to get started.
  9. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Trials and Tribulations will make you a stronger business man. If you are not making any mistakes, you are not learning.

Take care-