1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My creeping bentgrass lawn...

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by wxman, May 26, 2008.

1. wxman

wxman LawnSite Member

For those of you that think creeping bentgrass is a weed, take a look at this. Here is my Penncross creeping bentgrass lawn that I planted on 08-04-07. I mow it at 1/2" with a seven blade reel mower.

My lawn vs neighbors lawn:

2. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Nice, did you start from scratch? and how much $ per pound for the seed?
  3. wxman

wxman LawnSite Member

Yes I started from scratch, and the seed was $15/lb. I used 2 lbs per 1000 sq ft, or about 5 lbs total.
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Looks too labour intensive for my likes, but it does look VERY nice!
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

do you play golf? LOL
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I should have said it looks nice first. :)
  7. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

I think you said you cut it at 1/2 inch? That's pretty high for creeping bentgrass. At the golf course we use to cut it at a quarter inch or less. That being said, they were a PITA to maintain.

It looks fantastic... But if you make a little scuff by accident does it tare up the grass?
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

is it hard to get any sleep living there ?
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

10. wxman

wxman LawnSite Member

I mow every other day and water deeply once a week. Other than that, I drop 1 lb/1000 sq ft of nitrogen once a month. So in my eyes, its not a lot of maintenance. The grass spreads insanely fast, so any scuff marks repair in a week. And yes I play golf, but not on this lawn :). And the tracks only run once a day and its only 10 cars so its pretty quiet here.

This fall I want to overseed declaration bent into it to get a thicker shoot density. Penncross is something like 200 shoots per sq inch, but declaration is over a 1000.