My CTL over a septic tank?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have 12-14 tons of crusher run to go into a back lawn for patio base. Only way is over the tank. Really don't want to wheelbarrow it! My TL120 skid is on tracks and 6000lbs. How heavy is that for a septic system?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Newr ones are plastic and wont hold the weight, I wouldn't chance it with a old tank eighter, a lot of lids get busted in order to pump the tanks out.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Ground pressure for that machine is probably only 6-7 PSI which isn't much more than the average guy walking around with work boots on. I say go for it or rent a Dingo for a day.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Mine has a 8" lid with rebar in it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive across it. Really depends on the tank and also how deep it is. I fell in an abandoned one that was 6" below grade a month or two ago. Not fun.

You could possibly run over some micro lams or lumber and plywood to disperse the weight.

That's only 5 or 6 yards. We did 30 by wheelbarrow over the past two days with two laborers. Load 3 or 4 barrows at a time out of the truck or with the tak and run em. Of course every job is different though....

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have broken several thin concrete driveways with a mini ex and rubber tracks. If you don't know the condition of the tank, I wouldn't chance it unless you put cribbing down first or got a signed waiver for damage.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Just about every tank in everey state is required too hold up a certain amount of weight. There are also traffic rated tanks which are designed too be driven and parked over.

Most tankes are longer than wide. so usually going over the narrower width you will rarely break the tank. I have had one lid break on a tank but it was already in bad shape.

So too answer your question I do it everyday and my CTL weighs 9500 pounds.

7. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Septic system or tank?
    What's the tank made of? What's the age?

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

thanks. I bought some planks today to put down. Plus its a concrete tank and I know where the cap is and can stay off that so I should be in ok shape. I also know its 2 ft down.

9. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

Yes and no. The tank still needs to be able to withstand the weight of the load above it. A track loader weighs a lot more than a guy with boots on.

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Yes but the tanks design does not allow for that too ever happen unless it is a really large tank. Here they are around 10 foot long by 5 foot wide. It is nearly impossible too get all the machines weight on the center of the tank top where it is weakest.