My Custom Built Rig.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Poopy Shoe, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Poopy Shoe

Poopy Shoe LawnSite Member

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my 2008 GMC W3500. It has a 6.0L gas engine. I bought it new as a cab and chassis and drove it home, then got down to work.

I'm particularly proud of the fact that I designed and built the deck myself.

I wanted to have all my stuff on board with me. I wanted easy to handle ramps and I wanted to use it on weekends to get my race car to the track. It fits the bill nicely.

It is fifteen feet shorter going down the road than my 1/2 ton and trailer was. That is important here because I have to take a ferry to and from the community where I live. It's $7.00 per foot it you are over 20 ft. I come in at 22 ft. so I can live with that.

It sets me apart from my competition and so far, I think that's a good thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Great rig man. I'd love that for hardscapes with a toro dingo

3. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Unique. Look great and looks very efficient. Congrats! You did a great job.

4. Woodman1

Woodman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice looking rig!

5. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

Very nice, I have the w45. IMHO I believe the Isuzu npr(same as the gmc) is the best truck out there. Mine is getting on in years "98" model but still runs great and is more then happy doing a solid days work.

6. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That is one nice rig, I really like the ramp set-up too, I assume it's spring assisted. I love the cabover setups but was never a fan of the huge dovetails that they had, very nice man.

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you also make the ramps?

8. Poopy Shoe

Poopy Shoe LawnSite Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I went to all the truck body manufactures in Vancouver. They all wanted to sell me some delivery truck style flatdeck. Only one would build my design from my blueprint and they wanted $15,000. I built the entire thing for under $2,000.

Yes I made the ramps too. They are 2''x2''x1/8'' square tubing and the planks are 11 3/4'' Safety Tread.

Here is a closer look.

[​IMG]

9. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice. I think I would have turned the treads long ways for more traction if size permitted. :)

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Exact same thing I was going to say. I'm sure size was the issue.