My customer was robbed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We went out today (labor day) to do a few jobs. On our last stop, I noticed that a customer of mine had a broken window in the back side of the house. There was also a towel layed across the bottom of the window frame. I rang the doorbell but nobody was home. I also noticed that the porch light was still on at noon. I think they were robbed while they were away? for the weekend. I was wondering what you all would do in this kind of situation. I hope she does not think we had anything to do with it. This is a two year customer who is nice but a mild pita.

any thoughts?
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

First thing I would have done was call the cops? She could be tied up in there? Just a thought.Common sense would have said to do this anyway to cya.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A couple times in the past I've called the police because of a suspicious situation. They turned out to be nothing, and the customers thanked me for watching out for them.
  4. rustymowers

rustymowers LawnSite Member

hopefully you called the police to cover yourself and to help out
  5. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I was mowing once and noticed a door open. Stopped the mower and walked up the steps just in time to see the owner walking out. He had noticed that I saw the open door and felt good about me being there.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

CALL 911...The robbers could have still be in the house!
    In that type of situation I would have assumed the area was hot and hostiles were still on site. I would have retreated to a safe location and watched until the police got there.
  7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut a Church and one early Saturday we started cutting and on the other side of the building was a chair leaning up against a window.First thing i did was call the Police.Man you would have thought the joint was on fire 3 patrol cars rolled up and began a outside investigation then entered the building with no luck they finshed up the paper work asked us some questions then took off.Come to find out the cleaning service left chair in error while cleaning windows the day before...
  8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Not to long ago I went to my dealer on a Sat morning and they were closed (which pissed me off) but anyways when I pulled up the alarm was going off. I went to the front door to see if it was open and when I pulled on it I noticed it was still chained from the inside. So I did the right thing and called the cops to have them check it out. I waited for them to do there run through and when I showed up there again on Monday I got a big "Thanks" from my dealer.
    Just use common sense, good judgement, and be a concerned citizen. Watch out for others, because I hope that one day someone will be watching out for me as well.
  9. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Hopefully they were away for the weekend and not all cut to pieces inside the house, or tied up in a closet dehydrating. I would have called the cops right away... I usually am more worried about the customers than whether they'll think I did it.

I had a customer who thought we spray painted some nasty things all over their garage for not paying us that month, but I think she realized that we have 4 accounts (including one across the street) in that neighborhood, and weren't likely to do something that stupid... Turned out that some kids in the neighborhood had done it because they didn't like the customer's daughter.

I haven't seen any "suspicious" activity around any of our jobs so far, but I will definitely call the po-pos right away.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The cops should STILL be called - even right NOW. Where IS this Gene Simmons guy?