My customers are freakin' out!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have been trying to sell 'aeration & overseeding' @ $15/k to my customers and they are just about falling over backwards when I deliver the price. "OH MY GOD :eek: ... I didn't know it was that much".

Most of my lawns are on the large side, 30k and up... so it does get rather expensive.

From all the posts I've read and questions posted here $15/k is on the cheaper side... right?

Should I offer some type of payment plan???

I'm getting disgusted... Most of the lawns need to be seeded. I'm tired of breathing in all the dirt.
  2. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Sell them on a lawn rip out and plant drought resistant plantings.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Why would I do that when I'm in the 'grass cutting business'?
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Don't bend, you know its hard work to do this so stand on your price. I just went on an estimate yesterday and the lady told me what another company estimated a total overseed at ( I did not ask) and I told her that mine would be AT Least that high. I will see if I get the job.
    Ya I know the lawns are thin but you don't want to be seeding them for nothing just to do some work.

The best thing you can do is know your business and educate your potential clients on how you can do a quality job for them and make them believe you. People aren't willing to shell money out for something they think they can do. Make them understand how you do it and that in the long run they will be better off with you.
    Good Luck
  5. Lawn-Scapes

MOW ED,

I have no intentions of lowering the price. Although how hard is it to use a tow behind aerator and a front mount spreader ;) I'm definitely not trying to sell them on something they don't need. I'm trying to line this up for the end of this month when hopefully we get some frequent rains.

I was trying to find out if anyone offered some type of easy pay terms...

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that the people that gripe the most about pricing is the ones with the most money. I'll bet your b!tchers live in very nice houses with two new Mercedes in the garage.
    Customers say "I think your price is too high" I here them say "fine job, you need to bill me 50% more on the next bill"
    Charge more,work less, make more money. When a customer asks me if my price is negotiable, I say yes, I have a little room to go up! It always gets a laugh and sometimes the job too.
  7. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

For over seeding and aeration it's pay as you go. I dont offer a easy pay plan for a once a year customer. Stand your ground on your price, ashure the customer your giving them the best.

8. Lawn-Scapes

They are not bitching... I think it's just the shock factor.

These are my lawn service customers that I'm giving quotes to.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have never considered a payment plan for services. If you think that it will help move a customer to say yes then give it a try. Its not like they are gonna stiff you out of the money. I myself have never had a problem with them wanting a plan, they have the bucks and pay. (sometimes with a little whining)

If you were to set up some payment plan, what would it be? 100 a month for 6 months. You could even tack on interest of say 10% a month. I am not much of a numbers wizard but I know the banks make lots of money with interest.

Get yourself a Ryan Lawnaire IV and walk those lawns. You will change your mind about it being easy:D
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to reconsider not lowering your prices. Im not talking about lowballing!!!

However, something you need to consider is that we charge a higher dollar for Renovation services to smaller sized properties to keep them just as profitable as the larger ones.

We have increments where the price will begin to drop the larger the property.

If you are asking them to spend $450 for an aeration that takes you 90 minutes lets say. If you are grossing $150 hour on your other figures of $15/m then you should be charging $225 for this larger property although it may be 2-3 times as large.

At the $225 its not that you have lost money, because you are still averaging $150/hr. The question now comes down to how much extra silver are you trying to line your pants with???

I hope this makes sense. This is how we do it, and it works out well for us.