My cyclone rake experience....part 1 of 1

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Easy installation (my partner did it all in about an hour). Ease of use: Very simple to operate. The attachment they sell to blow the leaves over a fence is not needed as any part of the hose can do the trick.

It mulches great.

It sucks like my ex....a true champ in that department.

I didn't find it all that great when attached to the mower. The mower deck attachment was SEALED to our Z....again, my partner did a great job. Leaves were wet so that may be the culprit.

Cleaning garden beds is a snap with this thing.

If used on a small trailer, the unit can be turned sideways, and with two bolts, it can be secured to the trailer quite nicely.

BOTTOM LINE.......

We were slightly impressed with the sucking action when attached to the mower. This unit is best used if you blow leaves to a central location and then use the unit to vacuum the leaves. With some rigging, you can build a chute that makes emptying the bagger much easier.

If you leave the hose on the ground and rake towards the hose, it works extremely well.

DO NOT use it in tight quarters with your Z. I hit EVERYTHING. The truck, the wall, my partner and helpers and almost lost it once off a curb. BE CAREFUL.

Emptying the bagger.........AMAZING. A few clips and away you go.

I would rate it 8 out of 10.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I am sure after you use it more your rating will go up. I bought a used one last summer and it only has the 5 hp tecumseh on it but what a time saver. Wet leaves go ok but wait till you get to this fall and have 12" leaf layer of dry leaves. That is where it will impress you and how much you can pack into that little trailer. Enjoy.

3. Liquidfast

from Ontario

I am happy with it now. I just think it will be amazing with DRY leaves. I do have 6 mos. of work so we shall see.

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a field test report in turf mag. Glad to hear you bought something you like and will save time.

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

The wet leaves are definitely a problem. They'll block the hose in a flash. As for as blowing or raking the debris toward the hose end, I made a little gadget shaped like a drainage pipe-wing wall out of plywood. Hinged in the middle, with a cutout the size of the hose to set over the hose end. I just blow everything into that little "V" and it disappears. Have had great success using the Cyclone Rake for a mini debris loader for the last 5 years.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I called them hoping to be able to just buy the 7hp power unit or the smallest trailer with the 7hp unit. No dice..... They will not do it...

7. zahndok

zahndok LawnSite Member

I called asking the same thing. Same answer. No. You'd think they would design a package. I'm sure they get quite a few requests.

8. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Never again. It works "OKAY" but the cyclone rake is a dust factory. If you don't mind eating dust and crying tears of dust, it is fine.

I don't find that it does a great job on on leaves either. I will say in its defense that spring clean ups are obviously more difficult than the fall as the DRY leaves (the few we managed to find) get sucked and mulched nicely but the wet stuff doesn't.

I don't believe that the cyclone adds up to 10 times the suction of your riding mower/tractor. Maybe 3 times at best. Not too bad but certainly not 10 times.

I am floored at how dusty this thing becomes. When I originally tried it, I was impressed however, the more you use it, unless you clean it to its original state, it will kill you with dust.

We will be trying out the DR lawn vac next, if that is as good as it says it is, I will make the switch.

The DR doesn't emit dust (unless I read it incorrectly).

Oh yeah, as far as it not getting easily clogged.............not true. When doing garden beds with the estate hose, we manage to pick up sticks and those same sticks get stuck. Not too bad getting them unstuck but it starts to become a PITA.

Thats all.