My dealer is going under

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason2, Mar 18, 2001.

1. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Stopped in at my Exmark dealer today to check on a part I had ordered. One of the salesman tells me I won't be getting the part. They are shutting the doors. He just found out himself.

Next closest Exmark dealer is over 100 miles away. Guess I'll be ordering from catalogs from now on. Hate to see them go, they had great prices.

One company in town is carrying the Exmark Metro 21, so maybe they will step up and get the bigger stuff. Funny thing is the salesman wasn't aware of the new dealer. He was quite surprised and said he was going to look into it. He said after all these years he now has to refer customers to the competitors. And he wasn't looking forward to have to look for a new job.

Who knows maybe there's a Hustler or Dixie in my future. I sure wish the dealer could hang on.

2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! That's harsh! What are you going to do about it? Also, did he say why it's closing?

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I've been told our local Exmark dealer is closing as well. They had only been open for about two years. They specialized in professional equipment. They carried Great Dane, Exmark, Ariens, Grasshopper, Redmax, Sthil and a list a mile long of other small companies for all the small extra good stuff equipment.

The local John Deere dealer, I have been told, took the Exmark equipment, but the others are likely gone for now. I never had a chance to buy anything from them, but was planning on it eventually. I was going to go look for a new hedge trimmer and a articulated head hedge trimmer this Spring. Decided to buy both from my local Echo dealer, which I likely would have anyway since they were cheaper and only down the road about two miles.

4. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite dealer also closed. Luckily he went to work at the big dealer in town so he can still work on my stuff. He is a top notch mechanic.
    I think why these guys don't make it is the scrubs who don't charge enough to pay for repairs or replace equiptment. Just my opinion.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

same thing happen down here fall of 99 with the Walker ...lucky for us another dealer saw it as an opportunity to expand his service business

hopefully for the same will happen in your area

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Hopefully another dealer in your local area will pick up the Exmark franchise. Did you call Exmark?

7. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I never did get a reason why they are closing. I kind of have a feeling it's a combination of things. The dealer carried a lot of homeowner stuff. Seems like all the homeowners buy their power equipment from Home Depot, Lowes, etc...

There is a irrigation supply dealer in town that recently started carrying Shindaiwa, and Echo products. Stopped in the other day and was surprised to see a couple of Metro 21's on the floor. They might start carrying the bigger stuff, I hope so.

I haven't called Exmark. I'm sure they are aware of the situation.

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted by Vibe Ray who is obviously has a Masters in Economics: Also, did he say why it's closing?

I'm guessing its because he made so much money that he felt guilty and wanted to take a job at the paper mill making $6.50/hour. Seriously Ray, I'm pretty sure its why 75% or maybe more businesses fail. Lack of cash flow, poor business decisions, getting sued, severe debt, etc.

9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Man, i cant even think what i would have to do if my dealer went under. He is a good friend and a very supportive business ally. As a matter of fact, i have structured alot of my business after him and his family. (The whole store is family run and operated) I did not really know what customer service and awareness was till i met these wonderful people. Gosh, i hope i dont have nightmares about this tonight. lol. THanks alot guys!

Good luck finding another dealer.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks. That why we have to support our dealers and not buy from places like almainia.com. If dealers can't make money they will not stay in busness just like us.