My dealer might of lost me this morning.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Oct 8, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Earlier this year I went in to a new dealer and bought and bought some equipment. He lived across town but when I moved over here I decided to switch to him because he would always help me out and give me good prices.

So far this year I have bought a JD Stander, RedMax trimmer, trimmer line, cases of 2 cycle, new blades for my mowers, and had them do some work on equipment. I would say I have spent close to $10,000.

This morning after being off for a couple days due to sickness and rain I got started at house 2 minutes away from them. I popped a tube in my tire and ran up there to see if they would fix it.

No dice.

The mechanic who was just standing there smoking when I got there said he was way to busy to help because it was a 30 minute job and to come back next week.

I asked him if he was kidding me and he said nope.

I stormed out of there pretty pissed.

I drove 20 minutes across town to the other Deere dealer and they hooked me up and I was out of there in 10 minutes with a $6.00 bill.

Ive always been pretty loyal to these guys and I really dont want to leave. Im thinking about calling the owner and talking to him about it.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

The other week I had to go into the dealer to get my tthp worked on all of the sudden. He was in the middle of installing about 4 plows on trucks that day he said...

They got me in and out within 20 minutes.

Sounds like your dealer sux..
  3. penthink

penthink LawnSite Member

I am often accused of being a hot head, but I think you have every right to feel the way you do. I would definitely suggest you call the owner and let him know of your intentions, and let him know why he is losing you. He may try and rectify the situation. If he responds like a jackass, then you know you can move on to another dealer having made the right decision.
  4. IN2MOWN

He's ALWAYS gotten me in and out of there quick but today his d-bag mechanic turned me down.

I hate getting people in trouble but I really think I should call him.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Try greasing his palms next time....usually a twenty to the mechanic will help things along. Or go to a tire store.
  6. IN2MOWN

$20.00 for a $6.00 job?

No thanks.
  7. toddman36

toddman36 LawnSite Member

Call the owner. I always hate to complain about stuff, but in this situation I think its necessary. If that mechanic was my employee, I would want to know how he was treating my customers. I'm betting the owner will feel the same way.
  8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like one of our good ole American Workers,and they wonder why latino's have there Jobs.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I used to rely on a dealer and had nothing but great things to say until he let me down.
    Don't EVER put your business in their hands. Be prepared for as many emergencies as you can and decide to use them when you HAVE to. Tony
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Now I don't believe in greasing either, but a $20 tip from time to time sure
    makes their day... Unfortunately the day of the emergency can be a bad time
    for this, I've learned what to do then is not be in so much of a hurry.

What always helps when they're standing around like ladeeda,
    is just don't be in a hurry lol, fake it if you have to but slow down.
    So take a chill pill, then it takes a little longer... :p

Because by the time I drive to the other dealer how much did it cost in
    terms of labor hours (time) and wear and tear on the truck?

Just like getting a bad hand in spades,
    gotta play that crap off hahaha