my dealer says....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mulch kits, and mulching grass, are a crock of crapola. u either side discharge, or bag. mulch kits don't allow you to: cut off too much grass at once. and, don't cut well in high/wet grass. so, what the heck is the point?
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, your dealer is full of ****. I have been mulching for years and it looks just as good as bagging and have converted all my clients except a few old goats that will not change. The only grass Ive had trouble mulching is bahia grass for the cheapskapes that want it done every 2 weeks. However, I realize your grass may be different from my area.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

He was trying to keep you busy with dumb statements for you to ponder so you wouldn't come back. You need to get out of cutting grass business and work at McDonalds. But then again you may have a million questions about cooking hamburgers so try to find something even simpler to do. :laugh: :laugh:
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

What is your own personal experience with mulching?
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have: covered the discharge chute, and mulched "normal " grass- normal= (not wet or high). no problems. i normally: side discharge. i have never: tried mulching high /wet grass.
  6. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Bobby- what kind of blade grinder do you have for sale?
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

But not installed an actual mulch kit?
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

the one I just gave him for free
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Few companies in my area use "mulch kits". Actually, I don't know of any. A lot of LCOs (myself included) use OCDCs (operator controlled discharge chutes) with Gator or similar mulching blades. With larger, open lawns mulch kits just slow you down. It is a lot quicker to be able to mow with the chute wide open.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we run nothing but mulch kits.
    in really wet or very all conditions they do leave a little clumping, but not really much more than side discharging with the chute down.

you asked what the "point" is...

provides about 24% of the grasses fertilization needs. You do not have to hual off the clippings and dispose of them, it cuts into finer pieces than side discharging.
    the other benefit is that it reduced the time blowing clippings off driveways, etc becuase you are not throwing any grass. You can mow in either direction along a bed. also you do not have the side chute sticking off to hit stuff.

a mulching kit is different than simply blocking the discharge opening. it consists of baffles that seperate each cutting chamber.

your dealer sells mowers, he does not know diddly about maintaining turf.