1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my dealings with an insurance company

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 3, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell me if you agree i was "in the right", or "in the wrong". i had an insurance policy with this company, it was "accident" insurance. if i were to get hurt in an accident, slip, fall, whatever, anything but an illness, i would be covered. the premium was $20 a month, and the man would come over every month to collect the $20. well, i wasnt here when he came one month, so he called and asked me to mail it. i never did, and in fact, he called several times over the next few months, and i blew him off. at this point my policy was cancelled. it had been 6 months since my policy had been cancelled, and during that 6 months, i did in fact have an accident. i fell out of a tree and landed on my wrist. i lost a week from my job, and a few days from lawn service. i was sitting on the porch one afternoon, sipping on a silver bullet, and who shows up? the insurance guy. he asks me if i want to start up my policy again. i said sure. he said i would first have to pay the 6 months worth of back pay on the payments i had missed. i said, like, why? if i had been hurt during those 6 months, would they have covered me? he said no. i said, well, why would i pay for coverage that didn't exsist. we argue a bit, he calls the "office", and they say that i would in fact have been covered. i said great! what a coincidence, I DID IN FACT HAVE AN ACCIDENT, 3 months ago. please take care of the claim. you owe me a weeks pay. please process the claim, i'll pay you the $120 in back payments. he just looked at me, said i'd get something in the mail, and left. never heard from him again. was he right to ask for back payments on a policy that was cancelled, and in fact would not have covered me?
  2. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

it sounds to me that you were in the right to expect to be able to file a claim if you paid the six months.
    but i have to ask. I thought that the days of paying the insurance guy when he knocks on the door were over? was it a large reputable company?
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Another great yarn! Keep em coming.
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

What kind of insurance company comes to your house to pick up payments? Sounds like a company who wouldnt have helped you out even if you had been covered.
  5. Advanced Lawncare

Advanced Lawncare LawnSite Member

I agree that if you are going to have to make up payments for those months, they should have to cover you. As for insurance company coming to your house for payments, there are a few left that do this, but very few.
  6. Mustang

Mustang LawnSite Member

Sounds like the Soprano's Insurance Company is alive and well in NJ.;)
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sounds like yout attorneys, same company ? Dowescrewanhow

8. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

dewey,cheatum, and howe

old man!
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, believe it or not, the man would come to collect payments. according to him they were all part timers, working for a little extra money, and they had all thier houses grouped. he had 3 clients alone on my block. he would knock, say hello, chat for a minute or two, get his money and split. but if you werent home he was screwed. i had this policy for like 2 yrs. waste of money i think.