MY demo kit weighs...

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Aug 7, 2008.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I gotta tell you, I am developing a love/hate relationship with my demo kit. the more I use it, the more jobs I get, which i am thrilled to say i have picked up 3 landscape light jobs in the past week, after doing 6 demo's. after a dead time of a month, I am happy to be doing at least part time lighting work again before the big christmas light work starts September 15.

my love hate thing goes like this- I love having 4 75 ft runs of multi-plug cord, 20 brass mr-16 uplights, 5 deck lights with clamps, 2 600 watt trans, and a few paths and a few extension cords. really everything you need for a decent medium home demo.

my hate thing is weight. I have maxed out 2 very large ice chests on wheels w/ collapsable handles ( like luggage) , and I keep the paths and deck lights in a seperate box. each ice chest easily weighs 65-75 lbs, and I am tired of loading and unloading these things in the back of my truck.

I know that firefly does awesome demo's, and probably easily doubles the weight of mine, but I am also curious about the rest of you guys- what do you bring and how do you lug it around? how much time do you give yourself to setup, bid and load back up a demo? I am taking about 35-45 minutes to setup, 15-20 to write out and bid, and 20-25 minutes to load up and go home. all by myself. some demo's take longer if the customer wants me to move around lights, but a single demo typically takes me from 7:30 pm leave house time to around 9:30-10:30 get back home time at this time of year. February is much easier as you can get there at 4:30 pm and be back home by 6:30 pm. let me know if my experience is normal, or what you guys are doing different.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I like to bring a spiral bound notebook and a pen. :)

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

You need a trailer w/ a ramp door!!! We use the stanley black rolling tool cases they work really well.

I think Tommy The Lighting Geek was awarded a Trailer by John Deere and Unique through the Hitch and Grow Program.

4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

The entire bed of my truck is a giant demo kit. I keep 4 840 transformers in the little stanley boxes with wheels. I have about 25-30 assorted brass fixtures and 60 or so well lights in groups of 4. I have a couple extension cords and a couple path lights with 24" stems. I also have it on a pull out bed so I can pull the whole thing out and get to all the stuff.

The time you listed is about right. I usually use about 12-20 lights depending on the situation.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Dang james, you carry an entire notebook ? I just carry 2 sheets. I know you've reached celebrity status for lighting, so the demo is not for you. I'm there on Christmas lights, but it will take me a few years on landscape lights. until then, demo, demo, demo !

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the cast demo kit. It is heavy and PITA to setup. But I find myself just meeting the victim and they normally take my word. But once they call me they have seen my work, or they have been refered by a previous victim. I"m getting like James I just bring a notepad or whip out the Iphone. I'm a really KISS when giving a price.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Ha, I don't even need two sheets of paper. I just show up on the doorstep and they fall at my feet! Ok...well maybe not yet, I still have to demo like a mad dog to generate interest. It is then easy to upsell. We have a funny market here and my company is new to the game so I have to "buy" my credibility with blood, sweat and tears. Hopefully someday people will start giving me referral business so that people will start trusting in my abilities without always questioning my prices. Ahhhh....a guy can dream can't he.

8. Mark B

I have left the demo for a week then go back and pick it up. That has worked good as well. I will also use my gut feeling IF I charge them or not. Now I know that will open a can of worms.

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Man, will you stop referring to your customers as victims? This is the second time I've seen you do this, and it really bothers me! Not only are you giving yourself a bad name, you are potentially discrediting all of us by possibly making readers believe we share in your discription of them. STOP IT!

10. Mark B

Chris go drink a cold Sam Adams and chase it with a beam bomb. Then take a deep breathe sit down and relax. Loosen your belt when you do it.