my dream truck (almost)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by P.Services, Jun 18, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious, why do you like that dump body? Save up and go with a 550, that extra payload is important.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

very nice! 450's are plenty atleast for me they would be.

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i want a tall body like that so i can haul 10 yards of mulch and then i want to build a aluminum cover for it so it can be used as a chip truck. i just dont see the use of the drop side boxes, they are so short you end up building 2x10 wood sides that look like crap. the tool box behind the cab is also a great added feature.

5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

that truck is sweet

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

'03 6.0L's are a very risky purchase. :nono:

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure off hand what the truck weighs empty but with it being a crew cab and all that, its gonna draw off the payload. Prolly has a 15000 gvw. Not quite sure it would hold 10 yards legally, but capacity wise that bodies great!

8. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Some of the early 03's had the 7.3. Thats a awesome motor. I wouldnt buy if its a 6.0..............:usflag:

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

+1! The 7.3 was amazing late in its life.... hell, even in the 90's it was pretty solid. Early 6.0's are risky, 05-07 ones are MUCH better.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 2003s are hit and miss. I own a 2003 F-450 I'am having the turbo replaced but that is the way it goes. I will NEVER go back to a underpowered NOISY 7.3 PSD. The 7.3 can't hold a candle to the power the 6.0 has. The 6.0 does get better mpg. You need to wear ear plugs driving a 7.3 PSD truck.

You fix all the 6.0s common problems and drive the truck it will be fine. My F-450 2wd regular cab weighs 9300lbs empty it drives like a sports car.

As for buying a F-550 there really isn't much difference your only gaining 2500lbs in gvw. The F-550 with the 19,000lb gvw has the same brakes as the F-450. The S110 rear axle in the F-450 is a heavy rear axle your not going to bend the axle housing. You can run timbren rubber springs to help with the load carrying capacity.

As for 2wd trucks a 4x4 really doesn't do anything. These trucks are so heavy get into anything soft they sink like a rock in water. Once the rear duals sink your done. I have a tru trac limited slip in the diff of my truck I can go into places a 2wd shouldn't. Run a good traction tire one that howls like h*ll on the highway :laugh: