1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My edges were messed up by a bad edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 10, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What do u guys think about "Edgers". I've always turned my trimmer upside down and with a steady hand made the grass look like it's been edged pretty nice and have got lots of compliments about how I do it. One customer who has nice grass that grows up well on the edges that I do normally with my trimmer. His is one of my best examples. THen I come by today and I think some "other" lawn guy must have been there as both my customer and his neighbor obviously got new mulch installed ( which of course I do also but they probably have been using this guy for things like that for years and u know how it goes, it's cool) BUT someone ( probably the mulcher) used an edger and chopped off ALL the grass in many places like 1/2 an inch away from the edge of the walk and left nothing but dirt and it just looks kinda crappy now. I mean it looks like an edger has been there, but looked a lot better the way I was doing it.

My question is "Should I get an edger"? :laugh:
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay Green Paw...

Yea like you I always use a line trimmer to do edging... However I do own a stick edger for those ones that are 3 feet over growen........" u know the ones "

Never had any to do me the way your decribing....

I did have an appatrment complex that I turned down " not soly for this reason "

But in there contract they wanted " as they put it " Deep edging, with a 3 wheeled edger. the old ones....

I did have an employee once that didn't notice the blade was loose and really wabbeling back and forth. this left a really jagged edge.....

Good luck