My employee doesnt like running errands

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Apr 26, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Today i gave my employee a list of errands to do which i pay 12 dollars per hour and he did not think its good enough pay or he thinks its too much responsibility and thinks doing my little work is not for him. I dont have enough work to keep him totally busy as a full time employee so im giving him small landscpaing work on the side and trying to get him to any thing that needs to be done but he does not like that part. My list includes:
    Cleaning the truck and putting the magnet signs
    Putting away the fert and spreader in the storage
    Filling up the air tank and filling al the tires
    Dumping used oil at murrays
    Greasing trucks front end
    Doing a spring clean up with me involved of course
    ANd small stuff like errands.

Am i asking to much from an employee or for what i am paying ? Im trying to give him hours but he only wants to work when im doing everything like me telling him what to do and him doing it. Basically he want me to be the reponsible boss and him do no brain work and lonly work together. Hes a nice kid but i cant butter the bread for him sort of speak. Ive had enough being a secretary an estimator a contrator and getting all the blades sharpened and etc... Im tired of all this. One man can only do so much.
    I just want to be reasonble.

Bedros

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Fix him. Send him home without all the hours a few days and let him see it hit his bottom line.

He would get one speach from me on the subject and then be finding a new job. If he's on the clock, it is called team work. Its all things to be done for the sake of business. He needs to grow up and deal with it.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

until you took a unecessay swipe at my favorite
    LT ,we were togather. now i think you should givi him more money an start treating HIM in a decent manor . mabe a new car or something would help him tolerate working for you.LOL

4. bdemir

Thanks for the replys.

Awm what do you mean. I treat him great buy him lunch throw him two 150 lanscape jobs that can be done both in one day give him a brick paving job (my house). A new car. lol

What does this mean?
    until you took a unecessay swipe at my favorite
    LT ,we were togather

Bedros

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just kidding you . murray is my favorite little lt
    I f you are paying 12 thats fair an means he is supposed to take the load of you.id just tell him thats the idea.
    luck to you

6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like you are paying him too much if he doesn't do what you ask. I just hired my first full time employee two months ago. He is the brother of one of my best friends. he had experience in this field and was out of a job. Before he started we talked about what duties he would be responsible for. Some of which include the things you are talking about. (changing oil, cleaning equipment, and etc...) Up until last week we worked together totally, and this week he has had some responsiblities to do on his own and he doesn't seem to mind doing them. Heck, Saturday I came home to clean equipment and didn't need his assistance. I gave him the option to take off early or take a weedeater to all the properties that my father had bushhogged. He came by at 6:30 to drop off the weedeater. So far, so good and he doesn't make $12/hr.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that doing these erands would be a nice change of pace for him away from the everyday grind and $12.00 an hr sounds more than fair to me.

8. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Bedros - my first reaction was to say get rid of the guy if he doesn't want to do the "little stuff". However, I remember being in this spot. It wasn't that I didn't want to - I didn't know how. The guy I worked for took it for granted that I knew things that I didn't. I was trying real hard, but didn't want to admit that I just didn't know. In retrospect (many years ago) I probably seemed like a lazy smart---. Even after I went to college and got a graduate degree, on my first job I had to learn the simple things others took for granted - like how to use a telephone with multiple functions and more than one line. On the other hand; if he just doesn't want to do it - you're the one paying him so guess who gets to do the work and who gets to watch it being done.

Mick

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know about anyone else, but I dont think thats what they meant by productive use of company time -LOL. I wouldnt take any load for any amount -ROFL!!!

j/k
    Kris

10. bdemir

guys thanks or the rpelys.

I do feel he is asking for a raise. I dont i think standing in line for 12 an hr is bad. His excuse was most jobs you get to sit there and dont have to drive around and be responsible. He says that doing these things is like being a manager not a worker. Then i guess he needs to get an 8 an hr job and see what hell make staying in one place.

Bedros