1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My equipment and shop

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by DeereHauler, May 18, 2008.

1. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Work an everything looks good. It looks like you expanded a good amount care to share how you expaneded so much.

2. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

I landed a lot of nice jobs, and I hired a really good full time guy, and then another and another. The increased amount of good help really made the amount of work increase, obviously i couldn't do it all myself. At the same time i made some good equipment purchases, which made us rent less, and save money whenever possible.

3. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Wow.real nice.all the trucks and equipment are very nice.

4. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice equipment, I really like your JD tractor and the graphics on your enclosed trailer

5. DeereHauler

thanks, i told my decal man i wanted the trailer "covered" and he made it happen, you'd never guess what i paid to have both sides and the tailgate done on that either......the decals are 20' long, and 5' high.....

6. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

I can imagine it cost quite a bit. Either that or you know the guy really well and he gave you a heck of a deal or something...

7. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

No one ever has a roller to do a paver job around here and i think that is the smartest things you can do. Its like a fricken highway compacked base by the time your ready to lay 21AA or pavers sand. Makes for almost zero settle

Great expansion and great equipment. I envy you.

One question, How did you find your good employees, around me, no one cares to work at all. They all would rather sit at home and collect unemployment checks and food stamps than work.

Any advice for the little guy wanting to expand?

thanks and great work and equipmentagian

8. DollarSign

DollarSign LawnSite Member
    from MN

Get some 06 tow mirrors on your Dirtymax!

What did the graphics on your 04 HD cost if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to pm me if you'd like.

9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, haven't been on this thread in a while. Looks awesome.

10. DeereHauler

so far my experience with employees is that when i advertise i found terrible ones, but finding someone through a friend works better. not saying it works everytime, but a guy worked with my wife, had prior landscaping experience and quit his job, i called him and offered him a part time job, hes now full time and it great, i just got lucky. my brother in law has a degree in landscape design and horticulture so that was an easy find. If a guy wants to work, thats the guy you want.

to expand, take it by steps, not massive leaps so you don't sink yourself. One thing i have never been afraid to do is buy a piece of equipment to get a job, or take on something that is just a little bigger than i can handle. I also keep great relationships with my customers.

Don't envy me because of equipment, just remember all that stuff costs money, maintenance, and stress. I haven't had an 8 hour days in a long time, but I'm very proud of where i am now, and what i have, but at the end of the day its just equipment. I have a wife, a daughter, we have a nice home, and that means a whole lot more than some mowers and trucks ever will.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010