1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my equiptment after a year

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mrbray101, Jan 8, 2006.

1. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a pic of all the stuff I've accumulated after about a year. I started on my own last year but started a little late in the season. I just wanted to tell anyone just starting out that I think its wise to buy used equipment first then buy new as you become more established. Most of my stuff was used, classifieds for the lesco, only 750, ebay for the echo blower, trimmer, and edger. I bought a crapsman hedge trimmer to start with and just purchased the pas260 with the hedge attachment which i really like. that thing is a monster, kind of heavy after a few hours trimming though. I also have a 21" lawnboy thats not pictured. The chainsaw is an old echo but works really well, it was a bonus after doing some cleanup for my grandfather.

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. BTW if you dont mind me asking, how do you like the Craftsman hedge trimmers. Im thinking about getting them just for now. Thanks:)
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I like the Echo equipment. great stuff
  4. mrbray101

There were two craftsman trimmers that were gas, i think mine was about 150?? They have worked well so far. I probably only have about 18 hours or so on them, they start easily and do not have much problem cutting anything I have come across however, you can really tell a difference between craftsman and a commercial set such as echo or stihl. They are made from much cheaper materials and dont seem like they will last near as long as another commercial model. If you need something just for now until you get going Id recomend them but the echo trimmer is not really that much more if you want an investment that will last a long time.
  5. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

6. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Congrats on going to UF!!! Sounds like your doing great. Also I see we both have a dodge dakota aka a double d lol!!!
    Do you think you will get out of the mowing biz after getting your degree in Landscape Architecture and do designing??
  7. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Craftsman Hedge trimmers are made by weedeater which you can get at lowes for about 10 or 20 bux cheaper with just a different green housing. Thats what I have for now, They do a pretty good job, they do have a more of a tendancy to give you headaches from all the exhaust. A 4cycle hybrid engine is available on higher end stuff like Shindaiwa. Those run alot cleaner you have to do what you have to do. Good luck........
  8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Take the best care for your equipment including cleaning and they will last alot longer than you expect.
  9. mrbray101

Thanks fishinman, after school I will get into LA instead of the lawn biz. Some day I would like to have my own business and incorporate it all together, maybe design, install, and maintain. Ill post some pics of my dodge some time I think you will like it. I have seen the weedeater trimmers and thought they looked similar I just got craftsman because I like that brand over weedeater. But yeah as long as you take care of something like that Im sure you can get a lot of hours out of it.
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Looks good, Like your idea of buying used. Its really the way to go when first starting out.