1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Exmark Lazer HP cuts great....on the second cut!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by btbej, May 20, 2004.

1. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

I have had my new 2003 23 horse Lazer HP now for 6 weeks and have put 70 hours on it and am pretty happy except for it seems I am having to double cut everything to get a nice appearance.

On the first pass it seems the grass is not getting cut evenly. You can see a very noticable line showing where the grass is getting cut shorter than the rest (kinda reminds me of the look a craftsman rider leaves). On the second cut it seems everything gets cut more evenly, but still noticable lines. It is especially noticeable when cutting tall grass.

I just put new gator blades on, checked tire pressure, etc. Is this normal? Am I being to picky? If this is a problem any idea what it could be?

Thanks for any heads up. I would like to hear some opinions because usually the dealers are to busy to care about the problem.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Get rid of the gator blades,they don't work well at this time of year.
    Slow down,spring growth is harder to cut than summer growth.

Double cutting is just a part of life sometimes during spring growth if you want a perfectly manicured lawn.
  3. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. I have tried mowing at a crawl and it does not help. This was my first day with the gators and they seem to be a lot more effective than the stock blades.

It is just mowing lower in two sections than the other. If you mow a strip and look up it...you will see from left to right a section of taller grass...then a shorter strip of grass...then tall...then short strip again and on the right it's taller grass. It almost looks like the outer blades are fine and then you take the center blade and bend it to make it cut shorter.

I don't know I see a lot of guys cutting with bobcats, dixie choppers, and even exmarks and their results are fine. There has to be something up with this....right?
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Dunno,but I do know the gators are not helping you in tall spring growth.
    Have you scraped the deck lately?
    Checked the pitch of the deck?
    Running at full throttle?
    Discharge chute up?
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Could it be that you are seeing wheel marks.. indentations? Or it may be the deck is not pitched correctly or deck is not level? Or there might be some clumps of grass stuck under the deck? Or maybe you're just seeing things? :p

How do you know that all the other mowed lawns that use the mowers you listed were not cut twice also? Or maybe you were not close enough to see the strips?

Anyways... check the pitch and levelness (such a word?) first. Then make sure the deck is clean undeneath.

Hope this helps!
  6. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Have the dealer check for proper pitch. Leading edges should be 1/4" lower than rear. Check each blade, you have to make sure you did not change spacer positions....Chuck
  7. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

Chutes Up, Always full throttle, Clean the deck every night when I get home and put away, pitch deck I measured all around the deck and the front measures perfect on both sides and same with the back. I don't mind double cutting my residentials because it's an extra 15 minutes, but I don't have time to cut my commercial properties that take 2-3 hours to mow.

I don't know it is just frustrating to spend this kind of money and get the cut quality of a sears mower! I also have a exmark 36" wb and it is awesome...the lazer is awesome up to this problem!

A couple of my commercial properties I mowed today in the shorter grass the cut was pretty good, but when I get into the thicker grass the motor starts to bog and you can see where it is just not cutting all the grass completely. Then I double cut a few sections and presto ... back to somewhat normal.
  8. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

It may be that your deck is tilted too far foreward. Since the three blades are arrainged in a triangle pattern, with the center blade forming the point of this triangle, if the deck is tipped too far foreward the center blade will cut a lower channel into the turf.

Take it back to your dealer and show them how uneven the cut is. Ask them to level the deck correctly, and get rid of that problem.
  9. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

Perfect guys (gals if any)... the deck pitch makes perfect sense with the way it is cutting. At least I can act like I know something and tell the dealer what to check for. If not they would say "we could'nt find anything wrong, but try these new outstanding blades we just got in and your problems will be solved...for a whopping $75":D
  10. JB Landscape

JB Landscape LawnSite Member

Never have that problem with Scags. I have never ever double cut.