1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My exmark seems under powered?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Baldwinslawnservice, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Baldwinslawnservice

Baldwinslawnservice LawnSite Member

My Exmark lazer z 60" seems to be a little underpowered on hills and on thick grass, It has a 23 hp kawi, is there something I can do to either increase power, or utilize what I have better? I'm thinking mabe different blades? Currently running factory high lift notched back blades. Thanks for the help!
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you are turning to correct rpms and if you have to, take less of a pass on the thick stuff. IMO, 25hp on a gas motor is MINIMUM on a 60" to maintain full Spring passes.
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say 23 HP is not enough on a 60" mowing deck. I have a 23 hp on a 54" and at times I wish I had more power.

4. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

High lift blades rob at least 2hp, and the notched backs might take even more. So you have the feel of a 21hp mower at best. To feel more power, try low blades and keep them sharp.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

IMO 23 hp is marginal for a 60" deck, especially in the Springtime
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya 23 is under powered but if thats what you have then just cut higher and keep blades sharp. Cutting high grass low will just make a big mess anyway or you have to bag it. YOu may have another problem if it is slow going up hills
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Your are underpowered (I had the same set up) but those notched high lift blades are very important to get the smooth cut Exmark is famous for especially in your type grasses. You will just have to live with it or trade up. No magic fixes for a small engine. That's why I tell people that are debating on if it is worth a few hundred extra dollars to get more power. The answer is almost always yes. Lots of complaints about not enough power but few complain about too much.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

He can turn his 23 kaw into a 25 with a simple carb change. They are the same engine. Only difference is the carb.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had to go from the 23hp to a 27 hp to notice a significant difference but it may be worth a try. Maybe some Kohler mechanics can weigh in on how expensive that would be.
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Notched take less I believe.

Exmark has a nice chart available that will show the advantages and disadvantages of all the different styles of blades. I'll find it this weekend and post it. It might be of some help to you guys and stop some of the myths about blades.

I don't belive a 23hp is underpowered unless you are running an ultravac. This i would say yes.

If you have a triton deck, make sure it has the update. Might be original stock and the blades aren't turning fast enough. Can remember if they even ran a 23 on a triton series lazer.