My experience with Bad Boy Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by colehog, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The 28 hp Cat causes a great deal more vibration than the four cylinder 35 Cat. This in itself will cause problems, anyone is far ahead in the game to buy the 35 Cat. There is really no comparison, the 35 is in a league of its own compared to the rattling three cylinder 28 in every respect.

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Wow I'm glad I went with a name brand, not that it couldn't happen with a Toro but much less likely I would think.

3. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Yes this is true. However, I think it is better explained in horse racing terms than craps.

You can put your money on the longshot, and most likely loose it all. Or you can put it on one of the favorites with a past proven track record. You will put a little more money upfront, but your odds of a winner are much greater.:)

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

70 miles to visit your dealer is a L o n g W a y !

5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I understand your position. I guess where my opinion is different from yours is that I don't call a piece of eqp that uses the same identical quality components (other than the frame and deck) as the names brands use, a "long shot".
    To each his own tho, I have no desire to have a pissing contest.

6. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know too much about Bad Boy as I'm a Scag user. I've never owned a diesel mower but used a Turf Tiger demo with the 28 Cat while one of my Scags was in the shop. I didn't notice any unusual vibrations coming from the 28 Cat.
    It actually ran quite well and had good torque. I have no plans to buy a diesel mower but this mower was really nice. The vibration you're experiencing could be coming from the mower and have nothing to do with the Cat. If you're having frame and bearing failures this early, I would question the overall quality of the BB. Maybe they cut too much to keep prices down.

7. StanWilhite

Sorry, this was supposed to be followed by a :) but for some reason it wasn't. Didn't want that to come across wrong!

8. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Well I understand your position based on your experience. I have had great luck with Scag Turf Tigers over the past 14 years with very few problems. Running 600 to 800 hours per year. (This year being an exception with the terrible drought.) I sell them around 2000 hours and get back a nice return.

I tried an Outlaw last year in an effort to save a little money. It was in the shop most of the season. It was a good year with adequate rainfall. We managed to get 300 hours on it before the frame cracked, and that was enough for me. This was with great dealer support from Retrodog. I would hate to see what it would have been like from a crappy dealer. I was fortunate that my Scag dealer gave me a good trade in for it.

Hopefully Badboy will get it together. It's nice to see small companies that focus on the customer rather than the share holders. However, it seems Badboy is more focused on advertising than product quality. I do prefer to try to give small companies a try because they usually are more customer focused at a cheaper price. I bought a Ybravo mower because of this, and have been very impressed with the product, the customer service, and I have a good dealer to support it.

The Turf Tiger is a proven design since 1998. We will just have to see where Bad Boy stands years from now to see how it compares. I'm just stating the facts of my experience. Another thing to consider is that some other models of Bad Boy mowers may have a better history. However, the Outlaw is the only model with comparative hillside capabilities as the TT. So I have no experience with models other than the Outlaw.

9. kb9nvh

kb9nvh LawnSite Senior Member

My lightning is still going strong out of my third season. Have had to replace main pulley spring, tach gauge (broken on day 1) and all of these were covered quickly by the factory for free. I threw the belt once early this season but it never repeated???

I have heard others having problems with the AOS also a few years ago. My previous mower was a scag tiger cub (2006) that was destroyed at the beginning of my third season.

10. StanWilhite

I understand completely, and I'm sure that if I was in the same situation with the experience you had, I'd do something similar.

You know, it's funny because sometimes we think that people's opinions are so much different than ours, when in reality, if we had lived the other person's life, and had their experience, we might do the exact same thing, and have the exact same opinions. It just boils down to a persons history and experience.....good or bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.