My experience with the 26" exmark...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Jan 15, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got my 26" back from the dealer and they put on abut 450$ worth of parts (not incl labor), all under warranty. At least exmark paid for it and didn't hassle us! Good for them.

I have one of the first 26".

What did they fix? There were at least 4 update kits I think!

Among other things-
    1. drive cable update kit (snapped)
    2. tranny updat kit (new tranny)
    3. height adjuster update kit (i had it rigged w/ bungees)
    4. gas tank parts kit
    5. new handle bar (was cracked, but I didn't even know)

So , basically except the deck, wheels, and engine it's all new!

I would say that there is enough power in the engine, I've cut thick northest spring growth w/ no probs.

There are pros and cons to the mower:
    Pro- more productive than 21" and fits in gates samller than 36"
    Pro- less pollution from 4 cycle engine
    Pro- bags well and catcher holds a good amount of grass and empties easy

Con- quite heavy for a trim mower, makes the 21" toro seem light!
    con- more trailer space than reg 21"
    Biggest CON- too many things broke because of bad design, the only saving grace was that I was able to macgyver solutions to keep the mower going until winter when I took it in for an overhaul.
    con- bad reputation will make it hard to sell

I'm going to give it a whirl again this spring, if it functions well I'll keep it, otherwise it's goodbye and hello new toro 21"

In theory it's a good idea to have 26" instead of 21", but in reality the mower is heavy and had a lot of problems. I will say booo to exmark for putting out an inferior product without proper testing, but hooray to them at the same time for making it right by fixing it (at a cost to them of probably $800).

If they fix all the bugs, make it lighter, and make it mulch I'd reccommend one. Until then, stick to 21".

Bottom line on exmark is that I'm neutral. Mistakes on product, but they have done the right thing to try to fix it.

2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I bought mine last spring (06) new from our Central Ohio dealer.($1200) I love it, not one single problem. Yea its heavy, but thats the only complaint I have about it. Mows perfect, great vaccum, an all around good detail mower. Sounds like maybe you got a lemon.

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one of the first available. I'm hoping it will be better after all the improvements.

4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if your dealer did the installs correctly you should be fine.

I have posted numberous times on these 26's, but any of them we have fixed with the newest upgrades never came back and were fine. Any of the 600 series serials that had the updates never had problems period.

I fixed a handfull that were sold by other dealers who couldn't seem to get it right.

5. joe the lawn guy

joe the lawn guy LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer wouldn't sell them he didn't like them said in a year or two to call back he seems to know whats good