my fall pre-emergent failed.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, Feb 13, 2013.

1. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Granular pre works fine just is expensive for the smaller guys. No that backpack won't be the best for applying wdg bit might work. If you plan on staying in this business I suggest a tank. John Deere has great financing options. That's how I got started with a 200 gallon from them. Now we run 4 trucks. Just saying.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i got a tank sprayer now, 50 gallon with electric shurflo pump. manual reel 200ft of hose. not to bad of a sprayer for what i paid for it and i only have a small am ount of customers. i am not about to run anything but liquid herbicides through it. so i'm having to dry app my fert. i'm only spraying at 1.5 gal per minute. i may get the 200 gallon skid from lesco if i pick up more customers in the future, really no need for it now though.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I've got a new 5gpm pump that I can almost give you, if you're interested. I had that same set up some years way back with a boom. Put the original pump back on it. Everything couples up the same. Anyway, PM me if interested.
    Roy
    Take a look at Gallery pre. I've had wonderful results with it.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Ral,
    You probably know this but Gallery is now off patent and can be purchased for less. I just bought some the other day for $140-Quali Pro brand.

5. inzane

mabee i overlooked it but didn't see poa listed as a controlled weed on the gallery label? or crabgrass.

6. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Gallery is broad leaves only
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

From what you describe, these lawns are low maintenance. As everyone knows weed control is not just chemicals apps. It is as much about doing all the other things to grow a healthy stand of the desired grass to naturally out compete the weeds. You should tell this to the customer upfront and every chance you get. (Write it on the bills as needed) Some get it and some don't but you must say it to cover yourself.

8. inzane

so with a split app of dimension, the label for "program 1" which is for residential lawns says recommended rate is 0.55 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. so if i do a split app, wouldn't I cut that in half and do 0.27 oz per 1,000 1st app then repeat that for the second app 6 to 8 weeks later? the JDL guy didn't know. I just wanted to check that the .27 oz per k is correct because thats my understanding of the split app from the label.

yeah, definetly lower maintenance, those notes usually go on the invoices in the summer when customers insist on mowing every 2 weeks, and won't water. both of these customers are pretty understanding about the weeds comming up though.

9. inzane

anyone?? kinda wondering on the dimension 2ew split rate.. i hear guys doing 2 full rate apps.. but i have gone by the label so far.. splitting the full rate over 2 apps. so, .27 oz per k for 2 apps split up about 8 weeks apart. sound right? some reason after talking to the guy at JDL i was unsure, because he was unsure.

10. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say, depending on environmental issues. Your second application should go down in the 4 to 6 week time frame.
    Posted via Mobile Device