my fault lawn is brown

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLARK LAWN, Jun 18, 2006.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

picked up a new lawn the last week of may.customer went with a cheaper service first and it was only cut three times since the start of the season. i took it over grass was REAL tall now its on a regular schedule every 5-7 days and the front is browning out and the customer is conivinced its my fault im cutting to short or something. i cut it at 4" the first time 3" next 2 times and 3.5" the last time. all other lawns are still green and only the front lawn at this house is browning.we havent had much rain since i started cutting it she refuses to water because she never had to before mid july before. could it still be stressed out from the first cutting when i had to take off so much?

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you are cutting it at 3 1/2 to 4 " I can't see how it's your fault. sounds like to me that it needs to be watered. Just because other years she didn't have to start watering it until July dose not mean that this year will be the same.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I do not know about in Ohio, but in NJ we haven't had the rain like we normally have in early spring. In addition, we did not have a lot of snow in the winter. If you are in the same boat then maybe she has not had to water in the past, but now she may need to.

Also, if you are cutting at that height I do not see how the lawn browning could be your fault unless you are running dull blades. If you have sharp blades, and mowing at the proper height then water is 99% chance the issue.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, the grass likely went into shock. Studies show any time more than one third of the blade is cut off, it will go into shock. When you combine that with the drought issue, I'm sure it's going dormant as a defensive response. But, at the same time, it's not your fault. It had to happen. Whether you or someone else, it was gonna happen.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

blah, everything is getting crispy here. all my commercial accounts are about haulted on growth, all the residentials are slow, to the point that I'm just cutting tips up to give it a clean mowed look.

6. DAVEY PROS

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

"Water, Water, Water, Water" - that's about all you can tell them.

Also - if you don't already know this: it is better to water once or twice a week for longer intervals to let the grass soak completely, then have enough time to grow before you water it again.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

JUst to add to what Davey Pros was saying about watering frequency do as he stated forces the grass to grow stronger deeper roots. The roots will go deeper in search for water. Just an added 2 cents.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I had something similar happen to me. I picked up a new convenience store and the grass was hit and miss from the new construction. They asked me to reseed it and I used Lesco Transition with starter fert. Long story short, I had to wait until the ground firmed up to cut and it was a little high. It's been green/yellow and I've been instructing the manager to water.I did get another fert app in about a month ago. It's coming around slowly. Most of the green/yellow is on the front slope. The rest of the property is coming in nicely. Our rain has been hit and miss lately. My garden soaks up every drop I give it.

9. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Are her neighbors lawns turning brown too?

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If not, are the neighbors watering their lawn?