my fault or faulty equipment?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnwizards, Aug 31, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

o.k. heres the scenario. its raining non stop here so i decided to tear apart a 15hp kohler command that supposedly was ran low on oil causing it to "break". thats what my dealer said last year when i brought it in for service. he conveniently had another engine in stock and said that kohler would not honor the warranty because of negligence. anyway i took some pics of the piston and it looks like it just broke. does low oil cause breaks like this or is it a bad product that warranty should've covered? also, in the pics it doesn't look blue or anything. thanks for the input...

randy

piston.jpg

piston 2.jpg

cyl. bore.jpg

2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like the rod broke which caused the sides of the piston to break off. It broke because of lack of lubrication. It couldn't handle that much friction, so yes...it was your fault.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Your fault....................................................
    Don't ya hate to hear that -- lmao

4. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hang on just a second.......when the rod breaks up high like that it is often overspeeding. The brown on the outside of the piston is normal. I would need to see more pictures of the inside of the piston to determine if lack of lube caused the failure. Also, need to see the other half of the rod and where it is attached to the crankshaft. At this point, not enough info to make an accurate evaluation.....Mike

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I had to fight with kohler over a waranty it was command 16 out of a walker, the kind of engine with splash lubrication. The splasher broke at which point the crank and rod tried to become one peice. My only saving grace was the fact the when the flapper broke off it did not get hot any more so it stayed a nice dull grey color, but the bottom of the piston rod got real hot and discolored right up to the point of the break.

Long story short. They warrantied the engine, but to get the warrantied engine I had to take the mower into a kohler dealer and have them install it....in the mean time I was down a mower for about 2 weeks in july in Florida...

I had done the orginal R&R....I was miffed., but if I had had a shop do the orginal R&R and then I took it back to them, I could have easly been duped out of another engine.

LIke what they gusy abvove said....as it tried to turn even though there was no heat marks, it broke at the weak point....

I think by trying to fight this it will be like ice skating up a hill...Not easy...

Was the oil low, did the oil pump fail? did the oil pump put out at too low of pressure? what are some details...

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Mike here, One would need to see that engine up close and personal to make a proper diagnoses as to the failure. Given only the info. at hand I would lean towards over-speeding also.

7. lawnwizards

i'll take some more pics and post them in a minute.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Get one of the oil pan in the bearing area then the inside of the pan overall and the governor gear.

9. lawnwizards

heres the piston and what looks like where the camshaft used to be.

piston3.jpg

camshaft.jpg

10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

we realy need to see the crankshaft journal was there metal transfer?from the piston it looks to be your fault the oil is burnt at the top sure sign of a low oil condition