My favorite customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matts Mowing, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

I see so many threads regarding PITA customers, so I thought I would relay a good story about customers who often times make up for the bad PITA's.
    I received a call from this lady a few months back. She tells me that she was referred to me from a local landscape supplier and would like me to come over and give her a bid on her lawn. I show up that day ( was in the neighborhood ) and give her a bid. She was very nice and I could tell that she was very easy going. Her yard was already landscaped but was done half assed by the builder. She tells me to mow and weed whenever I would like and she would like to cut me a check for $500.00 to start. At this point I wanted to kiss this lady, I never have customers pre pay for work and tell me to mow at my convenience. I do not see her for over a month and mail her invoice. She is $85.00 over her pre-pay for the month and she sends me a check for $600.00 with a note telling me how happy she is. I get a call this week, she is in town and would like to discuss some more work that she would like done around the house. I arrive this afternoon and she has just baked me some cookies. I walk the property eating cookies while she diuscusses her new roses that she bought and where she wants them planted. I give her some other landscape ideas that I have and she looks at me and says " Your work and ideas are great, please do whatever you think needs to be done." She then tells me she wants all the prarie grass cut ( 5+ acres ) and to landscape at my convenmience. She tells me to come inside for a minute. I walk in and she walks over to her purse and pulls out $2000.00 cash and hands it to me. I tell her that she still has $300.00 credit and she says to just keep working and there will be more where that came from. I walked to my car with a tear in my eye thanking God for customers like her and praying for more.:angel: I hope every LCO has a few customers like these.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

She's awesome!! I've got one that's really good as well. I'd do anything to please her if I were you. Too bad there aren't more like her.

3. LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

We have a couple like that too. They make up for some of the PITAs.

One elderly lady INSISTS that I bring our 2-1/2 year old over when I take care of her garden & prefers that I reschedule instead of not bring her with me. She misses her grandchildren, so she watches the Gremlin & plays with her while I work in her garden. And she always over pays, no matter how much I argue.

4. rambler

rambler LawnSite Member

im so glad to here of some good customers new to this site and starting anew lco :) im just getting eqipment ready to start .new mower still not here yet though supposed to be here monday can not wait to try it out.have learned alot from people on this site in the last 2 weeks nice to know though not all pitas out there:)

5. LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

Good customers ARE out there, the trick is to keep them by making them happy.

Some are easy, others need a little hand holding. But in the end if you're honest & treat your customers good they'll respect you. If they trust you, they won't hassle you.

One of our best customers was a PITA at first, he asked for a quote on some work. Turns out that what he wanted & what he needed were two different things. What he wanted would not work in that area, but the customer insisted & my husband said he wasn't going to do it because it would not turn out right & he won't do half assed work. Told the customer that if he really wanted it done, he'd have to find someone else to do it. The customer thought about it, called us back & said Thanks for being honest with me, let's do what you suggested. He's been happy ever since.

6. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

LL:
    One of our best customers was a PITA at first, he asked for a quote on some work. Turns out that what he wanted & what he needed were two different things. What he wanted would not work in that area, but the customer insisted & my husband said he wasn't going to do it because it would not turn out right & he won't do half assed work. Told the customer that if he really wanted it done, he'd have to find someone else to do it. The customer thought about it, called us back & said Thanks for being honest with me, let's do what you suggested. He's been happy ever since.

I feel the same way Liberty. I have turned down several jobs in the past because I could not agree with what the customer wanted. I will not pull away from a customers property with my head lowered behind the steering wheel from embarrasment. My reputation is more valuable to me versus a couple bucks.