My favorite leak repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

When I was first starting in this industry I was working at a very large condo/townhouse division (20 acres) where we maintain all the green space around the streets and town homes.

This is where I learned to work with 4" pipe. :)

Anyways, I was doing some maintenance work on some stuck heads and I happened to step in a very soft area right by the edge of a street. I knew that about 15 years prior a 4" main had been ran through there, so I thought there might be a pinhole leak so I started digging.

I dug down 24" and found our main but the water was bubbling up from beneath it. I kept digging and at about 36" I found a 6" PVC Tee with a 2" lateral coming out of it.

Turns out it was the domestic water for the street. The tee had cracked just enough to be spraying water but not enough to cause a blow out.

I didn't want to create a geyser by prodding the tee, so I left the hole open and we contacted the city to fix it.

They were very happy that I dug it up for them.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well aren't you the courteous boyscout!! J/K Good job. I've had to contact a couple water districts for mainline or valve breaks before as well. I was able to find the RP on one and close it down.

3. Dirty Water

The valve for this particular line was a street valve and I didn't have a key long enough to get to it.

4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience with anything of that caliber. Only typical "WTF were they thinking" repairs...

Hillandale ML 3.19.2007.JPG

5. Dirty Water

That line was repaired hot. IPS 725 gets bubbly like that when its wet.

Heh.

6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Is it supposed to pull out of the joint too? :laugh:

7. Dirty Water

If you glue it wet.

I always used the medium blue stuff and lots of primer when doing hot repairs.

I love IPS 725 on new installs, it sets in 10-15 seconds, if you move it while setting you f'ed yourself though.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We've done a lot of digging for Maintenance Department plumbers because site guys never realize that there are domestic lines in the ground too. Once establishing that the leak is not ours we'll plywood the hole, barracade the area off and call the plumbers. I then write off the work order.

I received a work order yesterday afternoon just before leaving work that the "pump/well was losing pressure/water" at one site. Instead of shipping it over to Maintenance we'll go out Monday and make sure that one of our isolation valves hasn't been shut back or some other irrigation-related problem doesn't exist. Then if it's truly the pump we'll forward the info on.