1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My favorite trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ax Man, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't think I would ever be excited about line but...

I started using the round white stuff almost 20 years ago, and have since switched to square, diamond, hexagon, and dimpled round line.
    Last fall I picked up a sample at a show or dealer(I'm not sure anymore,sucks to get old) of twisted line called Suffix.

This stuff lasts about 50% longer than the Hex line, requires less throttle to cut with, and is quieter to boot.
    I'm running 105, which seems like 095, ( they say the twisting makes it smaller?)
    Anyway, give it a try, you won't be sorry.
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody know where to buy this line (intenrnet) or has anyone ever used this line before.

Im interested but would like to hear if anyone else has used it before I try it.
  3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I like magnum gator line hexagonal pattern. This stuff cuyts great! Knocks down almost anything and does a fair job on fine centipede.

4. J-mike

J-mike LawnSite Member

Ax Man: I bought a replacement trimmer head from Suffix about 3 months ago and it came with that MegaTwist line in it.

I couldn't believe how great it was either. I looked all over the internet to see if I could find some more... but didn't find any.

LandscapeEscape88: I tried again a few days ago, and finally found some. Here's the link.

Hasn't arrived yet, but can't wait.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I dont know about Suffix, never heard of it, but I use Husqvarna line, its twisted so .95 is actually a little smaller. The line is Titanium.
  6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I've tryed several brands over the past years ,including the husqvarna which was less than satisfactory(still have almost a full spool of it). The best I found was mentioned on this site in an early thread this spring. It is Oregon brand. It very rarely breaks or welds. It's the best I've found-bar none.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I use the Husqvarna Titanium line also and am impressed with it really. I leave mine most of the time in water so it doesnt become brittle and it will last a long time.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Never tried Suffix, but one of my dealers was telling me how much he liked it. I'll have to try it out sometime :)

I tried the Husqvarna line last year and it wasn't that it was all bad, I just went through it at an incredible rate :eek: Normally a spool of line will last me several days, but I burned through this stuff in nothing flat.

I tried the Gator Magnum round line a couple years back and loved it. When I ran out, thats how I ended up with a one-pound roll of the Husqvarna. Finally I found a dealer with a spool of Gator Magnum square and used that. I also got that dealer to order me a new 3 lb'r of the round, only to find out I like the square better :eek:
  9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Barnard, I don't know what youre talking about??? I bought a spool of the Husqvarna Titanium line last month and absolutely LOVE it! It last forever for me, and I'm doubting that I'll ever used anything else. I'll take your old spool off your hands:D
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have switched to the Husqavarna titanium line too. I got the .105 by mistake but I ended up liking it. I've only been running it a short time, but I am pleased and suprised at it for a "roundish" line. I don't really think it lasts any longer than the other stuff I've used, but it does cut and edge well.

I will have to check out that Suffix line. That stuff sounds good. I've been wanting to try that Gator line also. But the round stuff is all I have found.

BTW, is anyone using that Echo Crossfire line? Any good?