My Feet Hurt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, May 21, 2001.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best work boot out there in you opinons.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just wear light tennis type work shoes. I have tried work boots but they are too heavy and hurt my knees and put blisters on my feet. Hard to walk rapidly with boots on.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats tough when you have to do a lot of walking like we do all day.
    I have a pair of red wings boots with a soft bottom that are great for when using ladders and digging, but for mowing I have a pair of new ballance cross trainers and they do the job for me.

4. i wear the red wing logger boots. i use them for tree work, landscaping, and cutting grass. they have a big heel on them so you may want to wear them for a while when you first get em to get used to the heel. i cut grass with sulkies and ztr's so it doesnt bother me at all.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I also wear Redwing Logger boots. They are expensive, but worth every penny to me. There was no break in peroid, it felt like I had worn them all my life after the first day.

6. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I wear a hightop steeltoe work boot sold by Mason shoes. The boot itself is made by Converse. The first couple of times I wore them they were stiff. I have had them for a year now and they are so comfortable. They are a little expensive but worth it. I am thinking of getting another pair and start breaking them in.

One note they are not weather proof. I wish they were. Nothing worse than to have cold wet feet.

7. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I also wear Red Wings boots and socks(the only way to go) Be good to your feet!!! They are pricey and you have to resole them but the boots feel like they where made just for you. The leather will last a very long time if you oil them.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If your feet hurt, might be good to spend a few bucks on a visit to a podiatrist first. Long ago, by mid-June each year, the soles of my feet felt like they had been hammered all day. Really noticed it when I sat down after work. Turned out that I have shortened plantar facia (sp?), something like a ligament between the heel and toe. Podiatrist almost fell off his chair when I took my socks off, said he wondered how I even walked. He took impressions, made me orthodic inserts for my shoes/boots, and it was like I was a different person. At least a person with totally different feet. So don't always blame the boots or shoes!

9. i also have the redwing socks. but with the thinsulate that is already lining the boots, and the wool from the socks my feet just sweat way too much. i also have some other socks for the winter. wool ones big and thick. usually if i go and buy the summer socks, or winter ones they are around 14 dollars per pair. oh yeah, if you wind up getting the red wing socks, remember to hang dry them and not to put them into the drier. it is true that you can get them resoled. i think it is about 80 dollars or something? i just use em, and then throw em out after 2 years. how do you oil them? i have the stuff upstairs.

10. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I too am looking for a good pair of boots. Went to the redwing webcite and found out they have a whole lot of shoes. For all you redwing owners.... can you tell me what the stock number is and if they are steel toes or not?