my feet hurt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by loom-gen, Oct 30, 2007.

1. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

Does any one have advise for me. My dogs is barkin! What do you folks where for shoes. I'm through with asking people who don't do what we do. Does any one have planters fasheitis or however you spell it. It makes me want to quit. And no you can't have my accounts so don't try to talk me into it.
  2. Evans Lawn Service

Evans Lawn Service LawnSite Member

buy ggood boots my friend...good danner or rockys
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Me, I wear pure white socks and pure white tennis shoes, buy 1-2 pairs / year, wear the new ones around town until they're worn a little then I wear them for lawn work: Once worn for work they really can't be worn anywhere else, at this point they last anywhere from a month up to a year or so.

I've bought as many as 3-4 pairs a year, payless and wal-mart stuff, $10 - $15 each, so the rule here is either way you're going to spend some moolah, my attitude is fresh socks AND shoes (white helps them keep cool in the sun). That to me is a big thing, HEAT.

I machine wash them if they get really bad, but air dry because the dryer foists the glue.
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do foot stretches with a towel or a ProStretch to help the plantar faciitis. Dont walk around barefoot in the house if you do. That can cause or aggravate it. Wolverines and double socks are my preferred footwear.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Good wool socks year round and good boots. Spend some money, your feet are your life. Danner, Merrell, Cabelas, Rocky (allright).
  6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Well i bought some inserts from a running sports store they worked for a little while so now I'm going to try the gel inserts and see how they work, other than that i just message my feet and try to stretch my calves on any step i can find. I know how you feel after working all day. I have been dealing with this since the summer of 2006, My doctor said the he could provide me with cortizone shots but I have been to busy to set an appointment.
  7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have suffered in the past from platar fascitis. commonly called heal spurs. It got bad enough I went to a podiatrist. he gave me cortisone shots and fashioned some temporary brace/arch supports. They did provide relief. On a later follow up visit He discussed surgery. This was a last resort for me. Instead I had him make me 2 more braces/supports. I wore these for several weeks and tried many shoes. If they didn't help or feel good I threw them away. Ialways looked for the softest insole and outsole I had good luck with Avia and ultimately a casual or walkin tennis shoe called "corey" at wal mart .it has air pockets in the soles. Iwore the corey exclusively for 2 years. I went through lots of them. I ditched the 21'mowers used sulkys behind the walk behinds and rode the Z whenver possible to reduce time on my feet and number of steps. I now have no foot pain at all, unless I stand on concrete for the whole day. I now am still picky about my footwear and find cost to be no indicater of comfort. The best boot type I have found is a laceup Wolverine and a Rockport lacer with ECS (its cushy). OYeah I ate lots of Ibuprofin too. Good luck.
  8. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wearing Carhartt Boots, gave me blisters on my toes. I now buy Nike Shox as work shoes. No more feet hurting...
  9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I suffer (and I use that word in the true meaning) form planter fasiitis. It's like walking with a piece of gravel under your heel all day. I bought the cheapo WalMart type tennis/athletic shoes for years. No more. Get a better brand (Target or Penny's, when on sale) that fit correctly. Even good quality work boots won't cure the problem alone. I have a pair of orthodics (inserts) made to fit just me by a chiropodist (foot doctor). Change them from work-shoes to dress-shoes as I cchange clothes. They're made of a hard, plastic like material (not a jell) and run about $300/pair (not cheap, but worth it). They last about 3 years. I can tell I'm due for a new pair because of the way my feet hurt after walking Expo for 2+ days. Hate to spend the bucks, but I don't like pain.
  10. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I'm suprised to hear how many guys are wearing sneakers, I would destroy both the sneakers then prolly my feet in a couple days. I wear boots every day, year round with cotton socks, only wool when its real cold out. For the boots I wear either 8 inch Red Wings or Georgia's. Red Wings hold up very well and I'm currently on my first pair of Georgia's and are happy with them so far. My Red Wings hold up so well they're still 100% waterproof even after I've worn them so much the tread is down to almost nothing.