1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My first bad customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deere615, Nov 13, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Alright so she is a old lady next door, and my dad always used to cut her grass. Then I took over when my dad was busy doing other things. For some reason it seems like she always seemed to hate me. She likes the grass cut so short, I try cutting it on 2.5 inches and she always wants it cut shorter!! My next setting is 2 inches and when I cut it like that it looked horrible(even mny dad said so).

She only wants it cut every 2 weeks if not more and baged!! She wants it weed wacked every other time $25 not trimmed 30 trimmed(this is what my dad always did it for). The last 2 times I cut it it really needed trimmed both times so I did but I figured I would be nice and only charge her 55 instead of 60, but then she only wrote the check out for 50. I just let it go and I cut and Trimmed her grass for the last time last week(which it was close to 4 weeks since I last cut it).

When I went to get payed tonight she told me that I didn't cut it short enough and that everyone says it looks bad because its not short enough(which is a lie because I heard people say the exact opposite) and that shes not paying me untill I cut it shorter! Then she said that you don't just come and cut someones grass that I wait until she calls me which she never did for my dad or for me the whole summer. So I that point I just left and she can find someone else next year to cut it. Sorry just had to vent.
  2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I had a some what similar situation this summer. They wanted it cut every week at 2" in the middle of the drought with no irrigation. I Had to give them the boot.
  3. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

sounds familiar. i would like to tell my story about a customer but i'm too lazy b/c i've been writin a lot of papers in college
  4. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Wow, that sounds incredibly annoying. I think dumping her was the right move.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that.
  6. theother

theother LawnSite Member

Can't please them all sometimes its better to just stick to your guns, do things the way they are suppose to and move on. You'll find better customers... hopefully. LOL
  7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

This is what we call a typical PITA (pain in the "A"). Dump her immediately as she will only cost you time, money, and heartache . Instead of being her doormat, use the time that you normally waste on her to find a new customer.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The first mistake is doing work for the next door neighbor. If things go sour, then you and your family are still stuck living next to her.
    Secondly, you knew going into this how she wanted her grass cut, and from what you wrote, your dad seemed to accomodate her. So taking over for your dad, you shouldn't have thought you could convert her to your terms. Little old ladies are very hard to convert.
    Since you have to live next to this lady, the best thing to do is to tell her nicely that although you would still love to cut her grass, your schedule is getting way too booked for the upcoming season.
  9. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a costumer like that once, after about a month of her BS I was about to tell her nicely that I wasn't going to mow her yard anymore when she said I was not doing a good enough job at that point I told her to find a different LCO. The funny part about that story is that about a year later she came up to me while I was mowing another yard and asked me to give her a bid on her lawn:confused:. Anyway good luck with her.
  10. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the world of Landscaping and dealing with the general public. Moral of the story 99.99999 percent of people suck. They are cheap and dont want to spend money. Your customer sounds like alot of the people that call me, (I too live in Pittsburgh, the South hills that is), and from experiance I have learned to just not bother with these type of people. Its not worth it in the long run. She will make you feel upset, and not want to work. Believe me, you did yourself a huge favor!