My first bad experience with a stander type mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 22, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Had some rain last night. Went out today to mow. Things had been going fairly good in spite of the rain and wet grass. My new JD Quik Trak was kicking grass!

I got to a house that has hill in the backyard. Not to steep though. At the bottom of the hill is a chain link fence. On the other side is concrete drain area that runs between the houses.

I got cocky and took it on the hill. Got a couple strips down and as I turned around I started to slide sideways. Slid about 10 feet down to the fence and was instantly stuck. Pinned between the mower and the fence. Tried like hell to get it back up the hill but it was not happening.

I had to take the fence apart, get the mower down into the drain and ride it down about a half a block before I found a place to get it back up.

STUPID STUPID STUPID.

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

:nono::nono::nono:

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Luckily I was not hurt and neither was the mower. I called the fence company to come and stretch the links back to the post and of course I will be re-sodding the area I tore up.

The homeowner was pretty understandable about it.

2. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

have come close to that a few times with a rider. usually get a second mower at the top of the hill and 'rachet strap it' to the upper mower and drag it up the hill. never had to take the fence apart to escape

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow!!! What an experience. Glad there's no damage or injuries.

4. blm86

blm86 LawnSite Member

well at least only the fence was just a little dinged up rather than you possibly flipping it

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

All in all I dont think it will cost to much to fix the fence and throw some sod down.

I learned my lesson though.

Wont be trying that again anytime soon.

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Glad youre ok...my Quik Trak doesnt hold hills all that great. Ive heard Wright holds em a little better..... Ive done some sliding myself on my Deere, so I avoid anything very steep.

7. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just purchased Wright Stander RH 52" and holds wet hills like glue.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I talked to a Wright dealer a few weeks ago. He said they can take a steep hill like a walk in the park.

9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you just got too confident. It's not a mistake you'll make again. My Everride holds hills pretty well, it just sounds like a crappy area.

10. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

yup, glad everyone/everything is ok.

I see almost NOTHING but standers mowing now, what makes Wright so much better than the others?