My first boo boo of the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmcooper, Sep 8, 2001.

1. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

Well I finally had my first accident today. I was cutting one of my customers to make up for all the rain we had last week. Normally I always cut all the yard except the front and one side with my W/B, just a little to steep for me. Well I decided I would try and cut the side with my W/B so I could get finished and go home and watch football. I was making the last swipe on the side when I was turning around, the mower started going backwards. The mower went into the driveway, 30 yards long and very steep. It kept picking up speed and I tried everything to get control again but there was no way. As I was near the bottom, nearing my truck, trailer and a basketball goal, off I went and not by choice, it flew me off the sulky. I landed on my left elbow and right hand just waiting for the mower to hit me. I layed on the ground for a few minutes before I looked up and the mower had rolled into the yard with the engine dead. And yes, I kept all the safety switches working and they worked fine. After I got up to see if there was any damage I noticed the right break was locked. The only thing I can figure was I was squeezing so hard on the brakes, the right one locked, thank goodness. The mower was 5 yards from me and I could't imagine what would have happened if they heavy thing hit me, sulky first. Never again will I do that. Back to the pushmower in the front and side, it takes me 10 minutes to cut with the push.
    Right now my elbow is still soar but my hand and wrist are really hurting. I'm going to soak in some ice and see if that will help, if not, to the doctor I go. Just remember folks, it only takes a split second for something to happen, in my case I definately had someone looking over me today, it could have really been bad.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The important thing is whenever anyone avoids injury. :D

Im sure that with a little finessing your mower will be up and operational shortly.

Kris

3. Be carful. I wouldn't suggest doing that again.

LGF:blob1:

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

But usually it takes an accident or two to teach a lesson in safety. Most of the time that works, but some people still don't learn.

Well your around to do it safer the next time, so theres your answer! Get the 22" out!

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear your weren't hurt bad.

Know Safety------No Pain

No Safety------Know Pain
    :cry:

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like you had your luck with you.real glad you werent
    hurt bud.

7. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, good thing no one got hurt bad, or anything damaged...:)

I used to cut for these people everynow and then, they have a slope, and then a wall, so I was cutting it with the 21" and it was too steep for it, almost flipped it over, it was a little scary. Didnt help half of it was dirt, no traction.

Just remember better safe than sorry.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

glad to hear everything is fine. it sounds like it couldve been a lot worse. ive had a few lazy moments at the end of the day where ill try something i shouldnt. i usually get a scare and say ill never do that again.

9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's good to hear you are OK. We need to hear about things like this form time to time to bring us all back to reality. Every once in a while we all try and take short cuts to try and save that extra few minutes. You where very lucky. A reminder to us all, be careful!!!!!!!!! If it even crosses your mind that it might not be safe. Stop! It probably isn't.