My first broken window

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Apr 27, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have heard about it before but didn't think it would happen to me. I broke my first window today. I didn't see it happen but the home owners front door is, or should I say was, this real fancy glass with designs in it. Now it's shattered. I must have done it. I called my insurance agent but of course I have a $500.00 deductable. Hopefully it will cost less than that to fix.

It's tough to get a head. I probably worked all day today just to pay for the window that I broke. I was finishing up for the day too, he was my last stop. Fifteen more minutes and I would have been done and on my way home.
  2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Invest in an OCDC. $250 and you can control it so you don't get grass in the beds, driveways and try to pervent breaking windows and such. I know it isn't a 100% guarantee, but when I am in rocky areas or in doubt, I pull down the chute and no more worries about breaking anything.
  3. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Excuse my ignorance but what is an OCDC? Over Chute Debris Catcher, am I close?
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

5. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked at the web site. I have Ferris Walk behinds. I didn't see anything for walk behind mowers. I am going to my Ferris dealer on Saturday. I will check into what is available for my mowers.
  6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

do they sell them for dixie chopers...there will be one on my trailer if all goes as planed in 3weeks when my cuz moves into his new gonna have to put a couple hundred bucks into it and one of these would go good since they are one the new ones....
  7. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Broke my first yesterday too, didnt want to invest the $$ in an ocdc yet :dizzy: but looks like I might have saved myself a few dollars that way. good luck and sorry to hear about the window.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to talk bad on you guys but in my first year I sure got blamed a lot for broken stuff and fast, it seemed to me every single time something was mysteriously broken, it was my fault. By mysteriously broken, I mean I did not and could not remember doing it.

This is not to say it isn't possible that I just didn't notice, but it dawned on me that out of all these things that are getting broken, shouldn't I remember at least SOME of them?!!! Because the things I could remember breaking were usually not as serious / costly, and I've always had a rule in place: If you break it and you know you broke it, fess up and tell the customer first.

The one guy really rashed me was some dude who had a broken irrigation water pipe and blamed it on me. Granted it was possible but even days later I could see my mower's tracks and it just didn't look like it, and if memory serves me correctly, that water pipe was busted and leaking when I got there, but I couldn't remember for sure... I wrote the guy a check at the time but I was very angry about this for over a year.

The one that really got me thou was sprinkler risers that failed to recede. I got the blame for a stuck riser once and that was when I had finally had enough because it really isn't my fault all this crap in their yards is all my fault every time something breaks or is broken, what if the child leaves toys out? Tough luck, my father used to tell us when he rode the mower over one, should've picked up after yourself.

After that, I stopped taking the blame so fast. First, I cancelled my liability insurance because in virginia we're not required to have it and I made sure anyone who asked about insurance was told I do not have it because the law does not require it (funny, most people don't ask so why do some?). Then, I gradually adopted a policy of 'I am NOT responsible for damage to objects in or around the yard, or damage resulting from objects in the yard. In exchange for this, customer is not responsible for damage to myself or machine resulting from objects such as water meters or rocks or any other reason.' <- How would it feel, their child left a toy out and it blew the motor.
    This includes sprinkler risers, toys, hoses, water meters and irrigation systems, windows broken by thrown rocks or balls (think about it, why does the lawn have rocks or golf balls in it, is this my fault?)... And really, most anything and everything, tough luck.

And lo and behold the complaints dropped sharply once people realized they weren't getting no free repairs of any kind, even if it was my fault... On that note, if I mess something up out of sheer stupidity and I know I done it and I know it's my fault, I feel bad and I may very well replace something but it is funny, in the past 2 years I haven't had this problem at all, not even once.
  9. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone with some creativity could probably make one of those OCDC things. Its just metal plate.
  10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

When that rock that you kick up hits the little kid playing hide and seek in the bushes, you'll wish you didnt cancel that insurance. Liability ins for lawn service is so cheap there is no reason not to have it