My first cancel

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiveOJoe, Apr 10, 2007.

1. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Started up in business again this year after a 10 year layoff. I have about 20 customers so far. Gave a bid of $32 to a customer, 6000 square feet with a pvc fence around most of it, and its a corner with double edging.

I cut it today for the first time, no one was home. The customer calls me up an hour later saying " My wife found someone cheaper ($25) and we're gonna go with them." I told him you get what you pay for and I really take my time to do a good job. He said, "Well, they came out today and did a great job!"

I said, "THAT WAS ME." :laugh: :laugh:

He asked if I would do it for $25 and I told him my minimum is $30.

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Now thats funny. Sorry to hear they still wont stay with you. They will see your work and compare to the new guy. When they call back in a few weeks tell them it will now be $35.

3. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Stick to your guns about your price, don't drop your price to keep a client, because that tells them you are desperate and that you dont value your work. Just smile and move on to the next job where you will be appreciated!

4. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

He'll be calling you back........ hey- where in NJ did that happen ?

5. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

southern NJ.:)

6. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ruthless people. You can see them coming.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

atta Boy.....

stick to your Guns......

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Gas is going up and they are charging a measly 25 bucks. Its 35-40 here. If its a new lawn and it needs to be Bagged 50.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure when they call you raise your price lol.

Cheers
    Jeff