My first chainsaw. Poulan 295 wont start :-(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, May 20, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

It came from a rich guy that used it on branches. Told me he bought a new one because the Poulan pro 295 pull string was shot. I pulled it apart and the flyweel bolt was loose!! I tighted it and tried startin it and it pulled better but wont start. Air filter was dirty. Put echo power plend two stroke and chain oil. I tried starting it for half hour. sound like its flooded or no spark. SOunds like bur bur burr.I held the plastic thing in and pulled the choke out and flipped the switch. I tried every method. Im gonna start it now with no filter and pour a little gas in the carb or starting fluid. I got the saw free.

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why they call them Pullon.

3. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Put a new coil/magnito in it. Poo-Ons on famous for bad ignitions.

Make it run, sell it for $85 and put that towards a Husky, Echo, or a Stihl.

4. soloscaperman

I poured alittle gas in the carb with the filter off. Sounds faster. Its a 2003 year. Coil, plug, and muffler look new. Looks like it was only used a couple times. How much is a coil for that?

5. soloscaperman

I pulled the spark plug off with the wire on still, shut the lights off and pulled it and see spark. It rules out the coil and the plug. There was alot of black crap on the plug and I could see inside and pulled the string and I saw the cyc move. It looked alittle messy in there though. What could the problem be????

6. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

Change or clean the plug, and dump the old fuel. Might be a bad mix or just old fuel.

Dan

7. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Throw a match on it and hope it disappears then go buy a Stihl or Husky ...LOL

8. soloscaperman

I used a lighter and cleaned the plug. There was no gas in the saw when I got it.Can it be suttin serious? If the cyc is moving when I pull it and has pressure when I put my thumb int he plug hole that means the cyc is ok and I got pressure.

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

dose it have an intank gas filter?
    if it dose pull that off or change it