1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My First Clean-Up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cliplawn, Feb 14, 2007.

1. cliplawn

cliplawn LawnSite Member

I am just starting my lawn service business this year. I ran an ad in the local paper last week. I got a call two days ago for a spring clean-up. The lady agreed to my estimate so I showed up yesterday with a helper. We completed the small job in about two and a half hours. We bagged about 12 extra large bags of leaves, trash, and debris. Hauled off a truck load of fallen limbs. I pay my help $8 per hour. Total bill= $205. Did I price this right?
  2. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

yes i think so but your helper probably dont like it.he may quit you unless you can keep him buissy
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

You need to figure out what all your costs are and then figure out how much an hour you want to make. If after all your costs are covered and there is money left over for your business you did well (after you paid yourself also)
  4. Oyster Point

Oyster Point LawnSite Member

You want to be sure not to price yourself out of the market. I dont know what your overhead is, but $45 per man hour does it for us on cleanups/mulching and such. (not mowing/hardscape, etc....), and we're on the LOW end out here.
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

For a first cleanup, you did far better than me. Really lost my shirt, way over on hours.
  6. cliplawn

cliplawn LawnSite Member

Thanks oyster,
    So you think I should have charged $225 because it was two workers at $45/man hr. x 2.5 hours?
  7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I agree - you paid your helper 20 bucks and you collected $185 for youself - other than driving any other expense?
  8. cliplawn

cliplawn LawnSite Member

No. Just gas to drive there. The tools i used is what i have collected over the years. No dump fee either. Thats $185 deposited into the business account.
  9. Oyster Point

Oyster Point LawnSite Member

Exactly. everybody has a different need for a certain margin. This takes into cosideration, labor, equipment depreciation, overhead, gas/mix used in blowers/billygoat leaf sucker, dump fee, etc. This works for us, but this year with the addition of new equipment, we will be raising our rates to accomidate that.
  10. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

dont forget about insurance on your truck, gen. liability insurance, licence fees, etc...all the overhead you pay regaurdless of your ability to sell work.