My first commercial 36" walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Jul 11, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a used GS 25 for 36" walkbehind for my first commercial mower. Here are somethings I noticed during my first mowing. Is this stuff normal?

I noticed that mowing seemed to go quite a bit faster, which I expected, but it looks like I will be doing a lot more trimming. The bigger mower doesn't get into the corners like I hoped it would.

Mowing quality and stripes looked great, but the mower seemed like it was almost more work to control it then push my 22" push mower. I assume it gets a lot easier to control a bigger mower like that after you get used to it? Once I almost drove this mower over a railroad tie and into my garden!

The one problem I had with it was that it really tore into the ground that I have that has been saturated from all of the rain we have gotten lately. I have attached a picture, it really tore into the ground, I went across it with the slowest speed.

Derek

p1010199.jpg

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Dsogr, the things you mentioned are normal, unfortunately. There is a learning curve with any new machine, But, the things you mentioned are the very reason I probably won't ever buy a belt driven WB. I ran scag 36-48" WB's for an LCO I used to work for and by the end of every day, my hands were toast ( I've got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome). Take it easy at first, it'll take some getting used to. Wait until you put a sulky on it !!

3. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

Wish you would of bought my 2003 tthp 36" from me. Would of made you a great deal, plus there are some extras with the mower. Yes I to have had to use a 21" mower on some yards because of all the rain. Makes for a long day.

Craig

4. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

First of all...never mow saturated ground like that with a heavy mower. The results are what u see. Either wait, use the 21", or flat-top it with weed eater.

Second...most people I train on the 36" find themeselves fighting and trying to steer it. You cannot do that...it will drag u along. You must learn to completely control it with the brakes. Think ahead, and steer it where u want to go. If your EVER unsure...stop...use the brakes, and figure out where u are. You will not be able to manhandle this mower like your 21", it will manhandle you.

Once you get the learning curve figured out...you'll find you hardly ever use the 21", 'cept on very small areas or trimming. I operated several yrs without having a 21", just using the weedeater for trimming and small areas...and I do nothing but residential.

We don't get a lot of rain in South Texas ('cept for this yr), and if the ground is saturated like yours was...there is no way I woulda mowed it...I reschedule. Because of this, I work around sprinkler schedules as well...I dont mow the day they are running sprinkler systems, and I'm the one who sets the sprinkler schedule.

If your mowing in an extremely rainy area of the country, I believe there may be other techniques used to deal with tracks and clumping. I'm sure there are people here who deal with more rain than I do, and prolly have better suggestions.

Good luck

5. drsogr

Unfortunately buying a hydro walk-behind just wasn't in the cards. I am doing this part time currently and trying to see if this is something I want to do for a living, dropping 3,000 to 4,000 on a newer hydro just wasn't toing to work for me right now. Now if I decide hey this is something I want to do for a living, and something I can make money at, I would have no problem doing that. Currently I work an office job, so 10 hours of hot sun may be more of a shock to my system than I can handle. I just want to make sure before I go head first into that kind of business debt.

6. ivenholt

ivenholt LawnSite Member

You'll get used to it....and yeah there is more trimming but you'll still save lots of time...and yeah its gonna make a mess when the grass is that wet...

7. drsogr

Why are you selling your mower, that sounds like a great mower? Did you go with a bigger mower?

8. drsogr

Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately this is an abonormally rainy season in Kansas, and my 2 sump pumps have been flooding out my own yard. I swear I have a river under my house! I may have to eventually drain my sump directly into the street or the sewer instead of the middle of my yard. Normally Kansas is not known for the immense rainfalls that we have been getting. This problem will not be a problem after a couple of hot days!

9. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok first of all never buy a walk-behind with pistol grips, buy one with t-bar or some say h-bar and second of all get a proslide sulky for it it will speed up productivity and yes give it 2 weeks and you will be flying on it ---you just have to get used to it..