My first commercial piece of Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Jun 19, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a new fc75 stick edger and the ground is too wet to use it! I tried to use it, and the dirt/mud just ended up collecting and bogging down the edger! Is this common? Do you just not edge when the ground is really wet?

Anyone got any tips for maintenance on this machine? Or any good replacement parts that should be kept around? Thanks for your input.

Derek

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I just don't use my stick edger when the ground is wet.. Mine will clog up too if it's wet.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

An open face will help a little but no, wet dirt is not to good. Try not going as deep with the first pass and than just a little deeper each pass. If this is the first time to edge than even dry it might clog. Once you create the edge it will be easier from than on.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Not meaning to be critical, but a stick edger is the LAST piece of commercial equipment I purchased. It doesn't rank high on the list of commercial "must haves".

5. drsogr

Thanks for the reply, that really makes sense. When I brought it home it was at full depth! I brought it up about halfway, I think it was still digging into the ground about an inch. I will try to shallow it up even a little more once it dries up a little more.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Different strokes for different folks.

I use my stick edger on the first mowing of every month on every property I service.

It's a must have for me.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Just don't run the edger when it's wet. Try just a trimmer. I still use my Ryobi split booms for edging and brushcutting (one of each). Other than those, all my equipment is commercial. Commercial equipment is a quantum leap above the Ryobi stuff but, I use them so little I have to dump the gas frequently. Funny, My Robin trimmer is only 25cc and the Ryobi is 31cc, the Robin sounds like a hoss and cuts like it too. Just wait until you get other commercial equipment like mowers, blowers and trimmers. You'll be amazed at the difference.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If its one of those that has a shield on both sides of the blade it will clog up very easy. If it is, on some brands the cover can be removed and run without it.

9. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Well, yes, If you are doing edges for the first time, the cut material will clog up, dry or wet.

Forget about adjusting for depth, waste of time. A different grip will adjust depth for you.

Every machine I put into service? The wheel was discarded before it was fueled the first time. Extra dead weight. We also created our own case savers out of HDLMW plastic. these made the unit glide when the blade was short and we were "digging" next to the hard edge. More often than not, we had to "float" along above the hard edge and cut the profile of the turf edge.

But we never removed the face guard.

10. drsogr

I can understand what you mean, but I think you misunderstood what I meant. I am just getting started commercially, I plan on buying a commercial 36" mower of somesorts, and stihl blower as well. I already have a trimmer that should get me by until I can afford to buy something commercial. Its a ryobi 4 cycle engine, straight shaft, the things runs great for a consumer model. I couldn't imagine finding something much more powerfule. I haven't even done any advertising yet, I am just trying to get the right equipment for the job before I start getting a customer base. I went with a commercial edger first because that is something I have absolutely no experience with. I wanted to get some time behind the wheel before I started using it on customers lawns.