My first Commercial ZTR - I have decided to go with the .........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seb442, May 16, 2004.

1. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

I have all but decided which ZTR to purchase. This will be my first. I think I will be going with a Ferris 3000. Probably will chose the Kohler 27 hp engine. I have learned a lot from reading posts on this web site the past 5 weeks. Thanks to everyone.

I demo the Ferris (both the Kohler 27 and Kawasaki 25) - a Bad Boy and a Super Z yesterday. I really like the Super Z and I am sure it is a great mower but the Ferris did seem to be a lot smoother ride. The ride is very important to me. The past few weeks I have also looked at Snapper, Gravely, Kubota, Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Toro, and Cub Cadet.

I was quoted 8,699 on the Ferris 3000 61" with 25 Kawasaki and 8,999 with the Kohler 27. I think each can be had for a 2-3 hundred less than the quote. Do these prices sound about right???

I think when we try to chose which mower and engine brand to go with is is for the most part just a matter of opinion. Similar to which is best - Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. If we are looking at the top 6-8 companies which produce the ZTR's I think the bottom line is a personal preference on some of the different options available on different models and our own past history with brands. I don't think I could make a very bad decision choosing any of the last 4-5 mowers I was looking at. Down the road several years I doubt if I would know the difference, however I think the ride down the road will be a little smoother for me with the Ferris Independent Suspension. Also the 0% for 3 years which started 5-15-04 was a small factor. Feedback and Opinions are welcome. Send a PM if you would like. Thanks, Steve

2. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

hey steve, i hear the ferris w/IS tends to scalp uneven terrian w/a wide deck (60-72") did you find this to be true?

i didn't get a chance to demo one, and some times wonder if i won't regret that down the road.

i went w/ "02"--500hr.-used-( 1/2 price of new) 72" SUPER Z 25hp.-kaw.---AWESOME MACHINE---

3. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

John Deere ZTR's out of the runnings? Theres alot of positive feedback on here for them..

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I didnt see a scag mentioned either, sigh, joking ,maybe not a dealer in the area or a personal reason??

5. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

BALDEAGLE :

I have seen a few post about the scalping also. I did not have that problem. The land I was on for the demo was fairly rough but not really uneven. The salesman said it would be less prone to scalp than other mowers. He showed me a rod type thing which runs from the front spring to the rear of the frame which does an instant adjustment as the shocks work to adjust for that.

I agree the Super Z is an awesome grass mowing machine. I was leaning that direction but the Ferris is a smoother ride and the financing is better. I have heard June 1 Hustler will have new financing deal.

Canadian GreenScape :

I did look at the JD 757 but did not demo. Ran out of time that day.

grass_cuttin_fool

There is a dealer but have not made it there. I don't know about them and I do not see too many around the area. I know that does not mean anything but I have not took the time to look at them.

6. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Recent dealer quotes- without haggling:

3000is 25 Kawasaki $8075
    3000is 27 Kohler $8150

7. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

I took delivery of a new Ferris 3000 61" with Kolher 27 hp yesterday. Best I could do on price was $8,449. Mowed great. Rode even better. Only missed 3 blades of grass and that may have been driver error. The only bad thing I found during first use was that it cuts up the grass so fine the wind catches it sometimes and blows the grass back in my face-eyes. I guess it is human nature to be unhappy about something.:rolleyes:

First time to mow with a ZTR and it took me between 1 3/4 and 2 hours to mow about 3 acres. Using a JD LT133 it would take between 4.5 and 5 hours to mow same amount. I LIKE IT.