My first correctly wired install (My own home)

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by cgaengineer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I thank everyone that helped explain "hub" wiring. As some may know I purchased a Transformer from Unique to power my el-cheapo lights and have been asking a ton of question on this forum about lighting.

Well last weekend I started on a deck project off the patio of my home and I finally completed the deck and I wired everything during construction so that I could hide all wires. The deck turned out very well (I enjoyed building it) and the lighting really made it pop...I have more lights to add in my backyard but have not installed them yet so everything around the deck is dark. The bulbs in my fixtures are not frosted so I have some hot spots and I plan on taking JoeyD's advice to tone them down a bit by frosting them. Its hard to shoot lights in total darkness without getting hot spots (blown highlights) and still be able to expose the rest of the picture...way too much dynamic range. I plan on shooting some shots right before darkness tonight. I have also replaced the 7w bulbs that came with the fixtures with 4w to help with the brighness but its still too bright.

I did not have my wide angle lens with me at home so this was the best I could get with my 18mm lens...will get some shots tonight with my 12mm. Notice my neighbors solar light in the background.

Please go easy on me.:)

[​IMG]

View from the highest part of my lawn looking down on the deck.

[​IMG]

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

i think I see spirits in that second picture!

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that window is a bummer when taking a picture...not much I can do about it then to sand it with sand paper!!

I will get some shots just before dark tonight of the new deck and the lights...maybe I will get some free time this weekend and hook up the new transformer.

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good Chris! Now you just need some landscaping out in the yard to light so you can create depth and add space to the yard! From the picture, it looks awful dark out beyond the deck. As Nate always says "without light there is no space".
    Those spirits are the ghosts of Unique coming to spy on you to make sure you got it right! It's a free service they offer, and is shipped with every box.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering about that Chris. It seems that the folks at Unique might be up to something here.

6. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like you may have placed your post mounts too high on the posts. Your first photo reveals a lot of glare. Lower the lights 4 to 8 inches - so you cannot see the lamp or the worst part of the fixture "brightness" and you'll find your deck much more comfortable, when seated, at night.

My goal is to see what the light does... not the light...

7. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

you guys are going to start the next bg Unique thread............"Unique is now supplying Ghosts with all products"

"Unique is now officially the Devil"

"Unique is from Mars"

"Unique transformers cause cancer"

LOL

8. Chris J

Are you not? :laugh: :laugh:

9. Chris J

Tom, I think what you are seeing is camera trickery. I usually mount deck lights at just that same height, and the effect is very pleasing with no glare. One of the pics even has the camera below eye level when seated. I guess the true value of the results lies with him. What say you Chris? Do you see the light source while sitting on the deck, or is this just the pHOTography? By the way, what fixtures are those?

10. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

If you used a frosted lens or frosted lamp, you would eliminate the hard edged distribution that shows on the handrail. I think those hard edges are the wrong effect. You want a comfortable place to sit, enjoy your favorite beverage and talk with friends. Hard edges suggest disco to me, but I'm an old guy who remembers what disco was.

As for the ghosts Joey D sees... Give him another cold one and he'll stop seeing them.

It's all in the details.